Socketing a micro dual serial motor controller?

I have a micro dual serial motor controller that I’d like to use in a soldered breadboard… but I don’t want to solder in the SMC itself, both because I’m afraid I might fry it while soldering, and because I want to reserve the ability to use it again in a different project someday.

So, can you recommend a specific part that will work as a socket for the micro dual SMC? I tried a 0.1" female header that I had in my parts box, but it wasn’t a good fit – the SMC was loose and would fall right out if I tipped it over. I’m happy to buy an appropriate part from Jameco, Mouser, Digi-Key, or whoever, if you can tell me which one will provide a proper fit.

Thanks,
— Joe

A socket seems expensive and a lot of work. Can you drill holes in your circuit boards and use the mounting holes on the servo controller? You should probably use a piece of cardboard or other insulator between the two boards to make sure you don’t short anything out.

- Jan

You seem to be thinking of the servo controller, but I’m asking about the motor controller. I agree, with the SSC this isn’t an issue, thanks to the mounting holes and header pins. But with the micro SMC it is an issue, since there are no mounting holes and no easy way (short of soldering or socketing) to connect leads to its pins.

Thanks,
- Joe

Oh, sorry. For the motor controller, you can use half of an 18-pin IC socket.

- Jan

Thanks, that works fine.

I’ve now built a carrier board for the micro motor controller. It makes it into a complete module that I can just plug power, motors, and RS232 serial into using standard Molex KK connectors. If anybody’s curious about it, you can read more and see a picture (big enough to copy the design, if you like) at my robot log.

Cheers,
— Joe