Set neutral in Maestro

Hi,
Is there any way to set the 8 bit neutral position through a serial command? Or can I ONLY use the Control center to do it?.The older pololu serial controller had a command to set the neutral position, why was it removed in the maestro?. :frowning:

[Edit: I misunderstood the original posterā€™s question. This post does not answer the question.]

You can set a Maestro channelā€™s target to its 8-bit Neutral position by issuing a Set Target command in the Mini SSC protocol with a target value of 127. You can read about the Mini SSC command here, in the ā€œSet Target (Mini SSC protocol)ā€ section:

pololu.com/docs/0J40/5.e

The main point of the 8-bit Neutral and 8-bit Range settings is that they specify how the Mini SSC command behaves for that channel. Specifically, that page says: ā€œan 8-bit target of 127 corresponds to the neutral setting for that channel, while 0 or 254 correspond to the neutral setting minus or plus the range settingā€.

ā€“David

I want to change the 8 bit neutral setting to 1600us for a channel instead of the default 1500us. Is there anyway to do it through a serial command?.

No, just use the Maestro Control Center.

Iā€™m curious why you would want to do that though.

ā€“David

To calibrate my servos so that I dont have to take them out and do it. I am using wireless to send commands so I would find it convenient to do it through a serial command instead of hooking up a USB cable to the controller.

Hello,

If your controller is powerful enough to do the calibration itself, canā€™t it just apply the calibration values internally and send two-byte values to the Maestro?

-Paul

I guess Iā€™ll have to do thatā€¦but just wondering was was the set neutral command taken out for the maestro?

Hello,

The Maestro is entirely different from the old Pololu controllers, so it is not really fair to say that any particular feature was ā€œtaken outā€. All of the permanent configuration options are accessible only by USB so that you cannot accidentally change something because of a bug in your code or a noisy serial line.

-Paul