Servo power needs? some specifics

Hi,

I am running 10 - HX5010 servos and 2 - Power HD High Torque servos (links below) from a Mini Maestro 12. What are my power needs? Is there a specific power supply from Pololu I can buy? Make a sale, give me a link :slight_smile:

pololu.com/catalog/product/1057

servodatabase.com/servo/hextronik/hx5010

Thanks!

What power source are you using? How many volts, how many amps, and if batteries, how many amp-hours, and what chemistry?

I don’t have a power source yet. I was hoping to be told the best one for the job. Something I can plug into the wall.

Thanks

Hello.

The Power HD servos draw about 3 A each when stalling, and the HX5010 servos will probably draw closer to 1 A each when stalled. Both of these servos are designed for use at around 5-6 V. To figure out the maximum current you will need, add up the stall currents for the maximum number of servos your application will use at once.

Unfortunately, we do not have a power supply that would come close to what you will probably need. As an alternative, you might consider using a 6 V battery pack.

-Aaron

Also, stalling all the servos at once is probably a bad idea, so you can often get away with less :slight_smile:

I find that, for general hobby use, when plugging into the wall, a benchtop power supply is best. It’s flexible to use for a variety of projects. Typically, you hook up whatever you need with banana plugs or crocodile clips. You can set whatever voltage you want, and set a current limit up to the maximum supported by the power supply.

I use the Mastech which supports two channels of 30V, 5A, or one channel of 30V, 10A through bridging. Plus a 5V/3A channel for “auxiliary” needs. I love it! I think the newer models do 50V for the same price, too. There’s also a single-channel 50V/20A version for about the same price. (Adjustable, so you can set it to 5V/10A if you want, for example.)

Once you have a solution that you want to keep permanent, you find a power supply that supports the voltage and current you need on a fixed basis. Wall warts from Amazon or whatever will typically work fine for this, as long as they are rated for at least as many amps as you need.