RFC Firmware Qik and others

Hi,

Is it possible to add a unique identifier to the response of the eg Qik?

The reason why is the following hypothetical situations:

One or more Qik’s
One or more serial connections
One or more users of the connection
Fast sending of commands

In these cases it is hard to say wich command issued the response, in the case of a firmware check you know then that the answer is for the firmwarequestion. If none of these situation occurs it is still handy to have a unique identifier.

Thanks!

Roel

Hello.

The qik only ever responds with a single byte, and it is not possible to have a unique identifier associated with the response. Have you read the section in the user’s guide that talks about the supported protocols? You can configure each qik to have a unique device ID and use the Pololu protocol to send a command to a particular device ID. The devices that are sending commands to the qik should know to listen for a response only when they send a command that results in a response, and they know which device the response is from based on the device ID of the command sent. Is this not sufficient for what you’re trying to do?

- Ben

Hi,

The problem is the serial connection and multiple sending commands in a random order. If I get an answer of one of these commands I don’t know from what command it origins.

For example:
geterror
getfirmware
geterror
getfirmware

Now I get 4 bytes back. Is the first one that from geterror or were it from the second one?

But maybe I can make the difference by looking at the commandanswer? Firmware is an ASCII byte. Get error is 00000001 or 00000010 or 00000100 or 00001000 etc.

Are all replies on commands in some way different?

Roel

The qik will respond to commands in the order they are received, so you should be able to tell which response corresponds to which command, but can’t you make things easier by just waiting for the serial response before sending the next command that requests data? Command responses are not guaranteed to be different.

- Ben