Qik 2s12v10 interface FPGA

Hello,

I’m interested in buying the Dagu Wild Thumper 6WD All-Terrain Chassis, Black, 75:1 (#1563). Because I want to get this chassis moving with a FPGA. Therefore, I have been seeing related products as: the Qik 2s12v10 Dual Serial Motor Controller (#1112), the Step-Up/Step-Down Voltage Regulator S8V3A (#2120), …etc. However, I am thinking about which batteries can supply the current to these motors? Is the Qik 2s12v10 suitable for this chassis? I have already read “power and motor connections” in the Qik 2s12v10 user’ guide, but I still have some doubts.

Could I use these batteries (# 1003)?

By the way, I would like to get something to charge the batteries, but I haven’t seen it on the web.

Thanks in advance.
Alex

Hello.

AA-size batteries are probably too small to be practical for the Wild Thumper, which can easily carry 6-cell or higher sub-C packs. We do not carry such batteries or corresponding chargers, but they are available in hobby stores, stores like Radio Shack, and even in some toy stores since they are very commonly used with radio control toys. By the way, if you want to go the FPGA route, generating your own PWM should not be a big deal, so you might consider just a motor driver instead of a motor controller.

- Jan

Interesting you chose to interface with an FPGA chip. I’m curious because I just started working with FPGA’s and was planning on using one on my thumper also. Which chip are you planning on using? I might use my altera cyclone II

Hello Travism and Jan,

Thanks! I think I will buy a battery with these specification : 7.2V, 4200 mAh, 6 x Sub-C Cells.
I’ve been reading the Qik 2s12v10 user’s guide and I wonder if It has overheating problems to control the Thumper’s motors, doesn’t it?

Regarding to the FPGA, I’m using the XUPV2P board and I’ll use an IP (UART) to send commands and generate PWM signal.

Alex

Hello.

The Qik 2s12v10 has enough power to drive the Wild Thumper, though it will overheat and thermal protection will kick in if you stall all three wheels on a side for a prolonged period of time.

- Ben

Thanks Ben!

I’ll take it into account.