Preserving state of outputs

Hello.
I have set up a 24-channel mini maestro to control some servos and switch some LEDs on and off.
In the Control Centre I have written separate frames for each change required, and composed a set of sequences to perform the actions required.
The problem I have is that if the sequence script includes frames for switching LEDs on, each frame will switch all preceeding LEDs off.
Is there a simple way of writing the frames so they switch an output on without affecting the other outputs?
Thanks.

Hello.

I am sorry you are having trouble getting the behavior you want from the Maestro. It sounds like you have several frames saved, and when you alternate between frames you want to keep the state of all the channels except for one the same. Getting that kind of behavior with a script should be doable, but it would be very difficult to get with just the sequencer alone. Each time a frame is saved with the sequencer, it saves the state of every Maestro channel. Then, when that frame is executed, every Maestro channel gets updated. So if you use the “Copy Sequence to Script” button in the control center and run your script without editing it, each frame in the sequence will update every channel. If you want to continue to use the sequencer, you could edit the script created so that each frame to control LEDs only commands one channel. To have finer control over the state of each servo channel, you could also write a script that individually commands each channel.

-Jon

Jon,
Thanks very much for you lucid, comprehensive and speedy reply.
I understand the situation and the strategy to achieve my desired result fully now.
(though I’m not sure why the design says a frame with just one logic output activated and set ‘high’ assumes that the other, unactive, logic outputs should be set low for that frame; it doesn’t do that for the servo outputs. Never mind, I can work round it, following your advice).

Looks like I shall have to read up on the script structure, as I can ALMOST get the action I require, but can’t as yet understand why it doesn’t do it completely.

I may be back …

Meanwhile, thanks again,

Phew.
Not being an expert, it’s taken a while and a lot of learning, but I have managed to edit the script of a simple sequence that now just turns 3 of the six LEDs on together, with a short delay between each, and doesn’t switch the preceding ones off as previously. That’s dandy.

The problem now is that I cannot see how to save the revised script back for inclusion in my sequences. This doesn’t seem to be documented and nothing I’ve tried has any effect. Is this possible and could you tell me how?

Thanks in anticipation,
Laurie Townsend

I’m glad you were able to get it working! Unfortunately, there is not a way to turn a script into a sequence. However, if you want to be able to select between sets of movements stored on the Maestro, you could do that by converting your sequences into subroutines, and then triggering those subroutines with buttons or switches. You can learn more about that under the “Attaching Servos and Peripherals” section of the Maestro’s user’s guide.

If you tell me more specifically about what it is you want to do, like how you want to trigger the different sequences of LEDs, I might be able to make more suggestions.

-Jon

Thanks Jon, I’ll explain what I’m tinkering with and see if you can suggest a strategy.
Put simply, I am using servos and LEDs as a digital signal box on a model railway layout.

As the servos operate the points (switches, I believe you call them in America) they just have two positions, so I have created a frame library of each individual servo in either position. This means I can select the relevant frames to set up any route I wish, and save that route as a sequence, suitably re-named.

I can then select from a collection of routes and have the Maesto set it up automatically. To look prototypical, there is even a defined delay between each point setting.

When it came to including the signal LEDS in the sequence, I hit the first problem of LEDs being turned off by the next frame. I worked round this by creating frames for the LEDs for the route instead of individually (which rather crippled the concept of having a library of individual actions), but of course all the LEDs switched at the same time, which is not realistic. It was while exploring the scripting facility, to produce a delay between the LED operations, that I had to post my most recent query.

I can understand your idea of subroutines and switches, but would prefer to do it all from the computer screen. I’m also aware there are custom model railway systems, but wanted to plough my individual furrow.

As I say, it all actually works and I can play trains like a happy small boy, but if you can see a way of introducing the delay sophistication, I would be even more pleased.

Thanks again for your attention,
Laurie Townsend.

Thanks for explaining more about your setup, which by the way, sounds really neat. If you have pictures or a website with more information, I would love to see it!

Unfortunately, I cannot think of a convenient way to get that kind of computer control using the Maestro without writing your own program to send signals to the Maestro.

-Jon