Pololu USB avr programmer

Hi, i am planning on buying this programmer for my attiny2313 (not attiny2313V) microcontroller. This chip operates at 0 – 10 MHz @ 2.7 - 5.5V and 0 – 20 MHz @ 4.5 – 5.5V. I read the product description, i know that it can program Orangutan robot controllers and the 3pi robot, it cant program atmega uC.

Can it program attiny2313 uC with external power = 5V??
if not, what can i do??
Thanks

Hello.

The Pololu USB AVR Programmer should not have any problems programming your ATtiny2313 when it is powered at 5V.

- Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, on this post Pololu USB AVR Programmer

you said that "However, two output pins on the ISP cable will program your device with 5V. This will probably work, but it is not ideal and could potentially cause damage to the programmer or the target. It might also cause VDD of the target AVR to go up and down wildly. You might consider adding a voltage divider on those pins."
The two output pins are referring to MOSI and SCK pins. but I know that, to program the uC, we need to connect – miso, vdd, sck, mosi, reset and gnd pins of the programmer to the same pins on the uC

I am confused with your comment “However, two output pins on the ISP cable will program your device with 5V.”? what do you mean? arent we need all 6 pins?

The person in that thread was asking about programming an AVR that is running at 3.3V with the USB AVR Programmer. This is not ideal since that programmer can only program at 5V. (There would be voltages applied to the chip that are higher than VDD, which could potentially break the microcontroller.) In your case, it sounds like you are planning on programming your ATtiny while supplying it with 5V, so you should not have to take any precautions mentioned in that thread.

- Jeremy

hi i bought a Pololu USB avr programmer, when i use it to program my attiny2313 at 5V through Amelt Studio, i got the following error message,

“Verifying Flash…Failed! address=0x0000 expected=0x12 actual=0x00”.

anyone knows how to solve it?

Could you tell me more about your setup. Could you verify that the ATtiny2313 is receiving 5V? Do you have anything else connected to your ATtiny2313? Could you post pictures of your setup and screenshots of your errors (from both Atmel Studio and the USB AVR Programmer Configuration Utility)?

- Jeremy

hi Jeremy, I tried a few more times with the Atmel Studio, but no luck, i still got that error message.
Then I moved on to try the AVRDUDE method describe on the pololu_usb_avr_programmer document. i used this command
avrdude -p attiny2313 -P COM3 -c avrispv2 -U flash:w:myhexfile.hex

and got the following result:
avrdude: stk500v2_command(): command failed
avrdude: stk500v2_command(): unknown status 0xc9
avrdude: stk500v2_program_enable(): cannot get connection status
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

I also realized that the light on the programmer is off and I no longer see the Pololu USB Devices under Device Manager. what could be wrong here??

I programmed my attiny2313 chip with a USBTinyISP programmer from my friend, and it works. so my chip is working.

my setup: I used win7 64bit, and i connect a shift register with my attiny2313 chip, and 8 LEDs on the shift register. I tried reinstalling the driver, but the light on the pololu programmer is still off

Could you post pictures of your setup? Could you also open the USB AVR Programmer Configuration Utility and tell me what error you are getting?

- Jeremy