Pololu Maestro 6 with X-sim for Mini Motion Platform

Hi everyone,
I am trying to use the Pololu Maestro 6 servo controller to work with the X-sim software (free to download and use) to build a mini motion control platform using RC servos to use with Microsoft FSX with FSUIPC. I am unable to interface the servo controller with the X-sim software through the USB. Is there any way of doing this? The X-sim forum does not have a plug in for this controller as yet. They have provided a thread:

x-simulator.de/wiki/Servo_Ta … _mboRacing

But this seems quite complicated for a newbie who does not know programming and only understands “plug and play”. I feel that if there is a plugin for this controller, it will be a very popular controller for motion platform projects.

I apologize if this topic is incorrectly placed, and it may please be moved to the right spot. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tony

Hello,

The instructions you link to show how to use the Micro Serial Servo Controller in Mini-SSC mode, so the same configuration should work without change on the Micro Maestro, using servo numbers 0-5 only. You should configure your Micro Maestro in “USB Chained” mode and experiment with the Mini SSC offset and scaling parameters to get the best range for your servos.

If any of the X-sim people are interested in writing a real plugin for the Maestro, you can refer them to me - I would be interested in helping out. It looks like a cool project! I am going to copy this post to your thread over on x-simulator.de as well.

-Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your quick response. I believe this will be useful to a lot of DIY “simmers” because what may happen is that once this interface problem is figured out, then it may be possible to amplify the output from the servo controller to H-bridges to power the bigger motors. There are some great projects out there, but a lot of circuit board fabrication seems to be involved. The Maestro controller is great in terms of size and price and versatility. If it can be made plug and play with X-sim, it will enhance greatly in terms of bare bones motion control.

I believe USB is the way to go in terms of ease of use for a layperson who is not into programming. And with the many brilliant minds out there, maybe a solution should be possible. Thank you again and to anyone who can help.

Regards,

Tony

Hello,

I have a question regarding sending the data from X-sim to the Micro Maestro.

Can I use a USB to serial TTL-232 R converter cable to convert the USB output to serial data from the computer to the servo controller? microcontrollershop.com/product_ … ts_id=2726

Or, will the Pololu USB to serial adapter as in pololu.com/catalog/product/391 do the same thing?

Thanks in advance for any help and ideas.

Tony