Pololu jrk12v12 motor driver error

I am getting 0x0004 motor driver error connecting pololu to pc without connecting anything else!
Is it damaged?
When I hit run motor the error disappears.
On pololu there is a red indicator led blinking.

By the way I have another jrk but is ok.

INITIALIZED 0
INPUT_MODE SERIAL
INPUT_MINIMUM 0
INPUT_MAXIMUM 4095
OUTPUT_MINIMUM 0
OUTPUT_NEUTRAL 2048
OUTPUT_MAXIMUM 4095
INPUT_INVERT 0
INPUT_SCALING_DEGREE 0
INPUT_POWER_WITH_AUX 0
INPUT_ANALOG_SAMPLES_EXPONENT 5
INPUT_DISCONNECT_MINIMUM 0
INPUT_DISCONNECT_MAXIMUM 4095
INPUT_NEUTRAL_MAXIMUM 2048
INPUT_NEUTRAL_MINIMUM 2048
SERIAL_MODE USB_DUAL_PORT
SERIAL_FIXED_BAUD_RATE 9600
SERIAL_TIMEOUT 0
SERIAL_ENABLE_CRC 0
SERIAL_NEVER_SUSPEND 0
SERIAL_DEVICE_NUMBER 11
FEEDBACK_MODE NONE
FEEDBACK_MINIMUM 1
FEEDBACK_MAXIMUM 4095
FEEDBACK_INVERT 0
FEEDBACK_POWER_WITH_AUX 0
FEEDBACK_DEAD_ZONE 0
FEEDBACK_ANALOG_SAMPLES_EXPONENT 5
FEEDBACK_DISCONNECT_MINIMUM 1
FEEDBACK_DISCONNECT_MAXIMUM 4095
PROPORTIONAL_MULTIPLIER 0
PROPORTIONAL_EXPONENT 0
INTEGRAL_MULTIPLIER 0
INTEGRAL_EXPONENT 0
DERIVATIVE_MULTIPLIER 0
DERIVATIVE_EXPONENT 0
PID_PERIOD 10
PID_INTEGRAL_LIMIT 1000
PID_RESET_INTEGRAL 0
MOTOR_PWM_FREQUENCY 0
MOTOR_INVERT 0
MOTOR_MAX_DUTY_CYCLE_WHILE_FEEDBACK_OUT_OF_RANGE 600
MOTOR_MAX_ACCELERATION_FORWARD 600
MOTOR_MAX_ACCELERATION_REVERSE 600
MOTOR_MAX_DUTY_CYCLE_FORWARD 600
MOTOR_MAX_DUTY_CYCLE_REVERSE 600
MOTOR_MAX_CURRENT_FORWARD 81
MOTOR_MAX_CURRENT_REVERSE 81
MOTOR_CURRENT_CALIBRATION_FORWARD 149
MOTOR_CURRENT_CALIBRATION_REVERSE 149
MOTOR_BRAKE_DURATION_FORWARD 0
MOTOR_BRAKE_DURATION_REVERSE 0
MOTOR_COAST_WHEN_OFF 0
ERROR_ENABLE 0
ERROR_LATCH 0

Hello.

Can you be more specific about the problem you are having?

When you say nothing else is connected, do you mean to the PC or to the Jrk?

Does the Jrk function as expected after you hit the “Run motor” button?

Also, could you post a screenshot of the “Errors” tab of your Jrk Configuration Utility?

Brandon

Hello,
I mean to the Jrk.
I tried update the firmware and the jrk stopped working.
Now the Jrk is dead I connect it to pc and no leds blinking. I also change usb cables and ports to the pc and still nothing happen.

Hello,
I found the problem I make something stupid.
I try to load jrk 12v3 firmware onto a jrk 21v12 that is why it stopped working.
Can I bring it back to jrk12v12 firmware?

Thank you for the additional information.

The Jrk 12v12 and Jrk 21v3 use separate firmware, and they are not cross compatible with each other. However, the bootloader should still be there, and I am hopeful that the firmware upgrade will work properly the second time you try it.

To force the Jrk into bootloader mode when there is corrupted firmware, please try these steps:

1. Ensure that the Jrk is powered off. The easiest way is to just disconnect it from everything.

2. With a screwdriver or other conductive tool, short the bootloader pads together. They are shown in the picture below:

3. While the pads are shorted together, plug the device into USB. You should see the green LED do a double blinking pattern. Once you see that, you can stop shorting the pads together. This might take a few tries to get right.

Once the Jrk is in bootloader mode, the you can access its bootloader using the menu in the Jrk Configuration Utility and try to upload its firmware again with the correct version.

Brandon

1 Like

Thank you Brandon!!!

It is alive now!
The green and yellow led is blinking. Also the red led is always on.

On the Errors” tab the motor driver error is blinking (red-gray and yes-no)

The Jrk 12v12’s motor driver fault occurs when it detects that motor output A is shorted to ground or VIN. What all do you have connected to the Jrk? Could you post some pictures of your setup showing all of your connections? Also, could you post some close-up pictures of both sides of your Jrk controller?

Brandon

Hello,
Now I don’t have anything connected to Jrks! Before I used to have wiper motors connected.

I have two pieces of Jrk 12v12. The first one is ok. I mean I connecting it to the PC without any errors.

The second one is having the error I describe before. That is why I wonder if it is fault or maybe I make to it something before when I had connected to them the wiper motors one for each Jrk. I don’t have anything this moment connected to Jrks.

I am sending the pics of the Jrk that may has problem.

Thank you for the pictures. From the screenshots you posted in your previous post, it does not look like the board is reporting a “No power” error, which I would expect to see if you do not have anything else connected to the board. Is it really not triggering a “No power” error even when there is nothing connected to the board except the USB?

It does sound like your Jrk might be damaged. Some of your solder joints look like they might not be properly wetting to the pads, so I recommend touching those up, but I do not expect that to cause the motor driver error. It looks like there is some residue left over from a previously installed heat sink; did you test the board before installing the heat sink, and if so, did it work for you then? Did it work at any point after the heat sink was installed?

It looks like the main driver chip might be slightly shifted on the pads (which would require a lot of heat); can you carefully inspect the points of contact to see if any of the pins might be making a connection to a neighboring pad?

You might also inspect the board for other signs of damage; for example, it is hard to tell if the mark indicated in the picture below is some kind of scratch or debris:

Brandon

Hello and thank you BrandonM

I have connected to the board only the USB and it is not triggering a “No power” error.

I solder again all the solder joints but nothing. Before and after I installed the heat sink it worked ok.

I also clean the pins of main driver chip not making connection to neighboring pad. Nothing again.

May be I over heat it that is why is slightly shifted on the pads? How can I solder it again? Or I can’t bring it back?
At the 2nd pic you posted it was dust in the red circle and I clean it.

Is there something else I can do? or is it damage for sure?