Pololu High-Power Motor Driver 18v15 with IG52-04 24VDC

Hello,

I am planning to build a big rescue robot on tracked chassis. Weight of the robot is going to be approximatelly 30kg( 66lb ) and i would like to use IG52-04 24VDC 136 RPM Gear Motors ( superdroidrobots.com/shop/it … itemid=872 ). The diameter of the track wheel is going to be around 12 cm. I want the robot to move on the flat floor and to climb on stairs. I would also like to use Pololu High-Power Motor Driver 18v15 for powering up these motors. For power source i am going to use two sealed lead acid batteries to get 24V voltage (2x12V,20Ah). Do you think, that this setup will work for my project? Are the motors enough powerfull to move the robot? If yes, is the motor driver supposed to work with them? If no, can you offer any alternatives?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely, Matas

Hi, Matas.

You can figure out if these motors would be appropriate for your robot by calculating the torque you need. The president of our company has written a blog post on the subject of force and torque that can serve as a starting point in your calculations.

It looks like that gearmotor has a stall current of around 20 A, so I would recommend using a more powerful driver. Also, we do not recommend using the 18v15 with 24V batteries. Something like the Pololu High-Power Motor Driver 24v20 would be more appropriate for this motor. You could also consider the Pololu Simple High-Power Motor Controller 24v23.

- Ryan