Pololu Dual G2 High-Power Motor Driver 18v22 for Raspberry Pi

Dear Support,

I have a quick question on this board, I am obviously using this board to control a motor and you would think rebooting the controller wouldn’t cause the motors to start up however they are which is preventing me from using them in my project.
I realise the boards been designed for the Raspberry Pi but I am using it on the Asus Tinker as this board had WiFi and the Pi did not when I bought the gear. As I understand the pinouts of the two boards are meant to be identical but for whatever reason the motor runs on bootup.

I would really appreciate any help you could offer on this issue, I really hope I can sort it as the project I aim to use it for requires 100 of the boards.

Kindest Regards,

Nathan

Hello, Nathan.

Could you measure the voltages on both motors PWM and SLP pins when you turn on your Asus Tinker? Can you send pictures that clearly show both sides of your board?

-Tony

Hey Tony,

I did check the state of the SLP pins and they were 3.3v on boot up, then shortly after return to 0v. This is not great when connected to a motor like ours which has three leads, one of which GND, we link across the two terminals M1A & M2A and the other we use to drive the motor in the direction we require. Obviously having both of these positive leads going high at the same time could have undesirable results.

Adding a 10k resistor to the two SLP pins to GND did sort the problem but I require 100+ of these boards for a project that will have the Asus Tinker connected to it.

What board did you want the pictures of?

Kind Regards,

Nathan

Hello, Nathan.

I’m glad to hear you found a solution to your problem. Since you solved your issue, photos are not necessary, but I would still be interested in seeing a diagram of how you have everything connected. Your written description is a little difficult for me to follow, but it sounds like there might be a better way to do what you’re trying to do.

If you do require additional pull-ups for your application, we can generally customize our products to add things like that, but the development costs might not be very practical for just 100 units. If that is something you would like to pursue further, please email us.

-Tony