Pololu 3pi AVR Erros

Hello. I am using the Pololu 3pi robot for a final project at my school, but I cannot get the robot to connect to my computer properly so that I can program it. No matter what I do, this error message occurs:

avrdude: stk500v2_command(): command failed
avrdude: stk500v2_command(): unknown status 0xc9
avrdude: stk500v2_program_enable(): cannot get connection status
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude done. Thank you.

make: *** [program] Error 1

I have exhausted online forums for a solution, but to no avail.
I have tried to program the robot using both AtmelStudio and the command prompt on Windows 10.
I suspect it is a problem with the AVR itself because when I plug it into my USB port on my laptop, the red LED, 1st yellow LED, and 2nd yellow LED all flash sequentially.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hello.

It sounds like you might be using the Pololu USB AVR Programmer v2 or the Pololu USB AVR Programmer v2.1. In either case, the LED behavior indicates that the programmer’s regulator mode is 5 V, but the target’s VCC line is not within the acceptable range. You can find that information under the “LED feedback” section in the Pololu USB AVR Programmer v2 User’s Guide. Can you change out the current batteries with fresh ones and see if that changes anything? If nothing changes, can you run the programmer’s configuration utility (after a failed programming attempt) and post a screenshot of the utility window here?

- Amanda