Phidgets controller for hc motors

Hello,

I have 6 75:1 Metal Gearmotor 25Dx54L mm HP on a robot chasis. I have a PhidgetMotorControl HC too.

Anyone knows if this controller is good enough for these motors? Any experience? Do I need to buy other controller?

Any help will be appreciated

Thank you

Hello,

It sounds like you doing something like the Wild Thumper, which has 3 motors wired in parallel on each side. If that is correct, and the Phidget motor controller can provide 14A continuous per side, it should be fine. However, since the 75:1 Metal Gearmotor 25Dx54L mm HP each have a stall current of 6A, for a combined stall current of 18A per side, you should avoid stalling the motors.

-Aaron

Hello,

Yes I have a Wild Thumper (I forget to mention it). I would like to use a Phidgets controller because I have been working with Phidgets since 2008 and I feel very comfortable with them but as you mention I can not risk to get stalled so I will probably buy the Pololu TReX Dual Motor Controller DMC01 to be sure it works under any condition.

Thank you very much.

Hello.

The TReX has similar power specifications to the Phidgets controller, so I doubt it would be much better. If you really want something that can work even if all the motors are stalled, you need to get something rated at above 18A stall, like two of these Simple Motor Controllers. Even then, it wouldn’t necessarily work well if you were continuously reversing direction (something you really shouldn’t be doing!), because the current draw when reversing directions can actually be quite a bit above the stall current. For most people, though, this higher power is probably not necessary. It is pretty unlikely that all of the motors will be stalled at once.

- Ryan