Need help with Micro Maestro 6 CH with VSA

Hello:
I am a long time user of VSA 4.1 using other servo boards, DMX and relay boards, I share this to establish that I am familiar with the software configurations. I am working on creating a simple talking skull using 1-2 servo’s, so I purchased a Micro 6CH. I am having difficulty finding the correct settings in Brookshire VSA which allow a full range of servo motion. Basic settings:

Com 6
USB
Testing using one standard servo connected to channel 0
Dual power supply (USB for board, 6 volt for servo)

I can get the board & servo to respond (0-254) using Mini SSC device type, but I don’t get full range of travel (~45 degrees). The board does not respond in any way to the POLOLU Servo device type in VSA.

I have full range using the Maestro control center so I am confident the board is communicating properly with the PC. The orange LED confirms that at least one servo channel is configured (dual flash) and the green flashes constant while receiving signal, or the entire time Control Center is opened and monitoring. Control center confirms that using the miniSSC setting moves the servo’s roughly 25% of the potential range.

I contacted Brookshire and they recommended I try the Maestro Servo type in settings. My version of VSA didn’t have this option so I downloaded VSA 5.0 which had the option. The servos did not respond using Maestro Servo type, but the lights did blink when I played a routine to move the servo, although Control Center did not acknowledge the motion.

Thank you for any advice. Sorry if I missed any vital details. I will be glad to provide any information necessary.

Chris

Hello, Chris.

When the Maestro receives Mini SSC commands, the mapping of the third byte to the servo target is determined by that channel’s “8-bit neutral” and “8-bit range” settings. I think you should try increasing the range and make sure the neutral point is reasonable (~1500). It also would help to run the Maestro Control Center at the same time as VSA so you can actually see what is happening to the servos as they are controlled by VSA.

–David

Thank you for the tip. While I think I understand what you are saying, I am still limited while using VSA 4.1 (which only has MiniSSC, not Maestro drivers).

You cannot change the high and low points while using Mini SSC on VSA. It is locked to 0-254…or at least when you try to change it, you cannot save the change. I did run Maestro control center and it verified that the range being received is only 0-1483 (which is 50% or potential range of motion).

I have since communicated with Brookshire and they had me try the trial version of 5.0 that contains the Maestro servro driver and it does push full range of motion. While I am not opposed to purchasing the newer version, I guess I’m still confused as to why this board is supposed to function using the MiniSSC commands but I’m not getting full range. I must be missing something.

I can help you understand what is going on if you tell me the following:

What channel of the Maestro is your servo connected to?

What is the “8-bit neutral” setting of the channel?

What is the “8-bit range” setting of the channel?

What position (in microseconds, according to the Maestro Control Center) does the servo go to when you command it to go to “0” in VSA?

What position (in microseconds, according to the Maestro Control Center) does the servo go to when you command it to go to “254” in VSA?

–David

David: Thank you for your patience and advice on this. After re-reading your original instructions it finally sunk in that you were referring to the range and neutral point within Maestro Control center, not VSA. Here are my current settings:

8 bit neutral 1500
8 bit range 793.75
Device #12 (Serial settings)
VSA device type: MiniSSC Servo

Once I applied these settings I gained larger range of motion from VSA. I am using a GWS micro STD servo and I don’t know what it’s full range should be, but I guess I have about 120 degrees from end to end, this is great!

Hind site, this makes sense and I greatly appreicate you taking the time to reiterate something that is probably elementary to you.

Chris