Motor driver for sub-micro plastic planetary gear motor

Hello Support,

I am planning to use two Sub-Micro Plastic Planetary Gearmotors (136:1) with Raspberry Pi 3.

Will DRV8835 Dual Motor Driver Carrier (2135) work for driving these two motors?

Is there any advantage when using motor drivers 2130 or 2753?

If I use 2135, can python libraries of 2753 be used to drive motors?

Thank you.

Hello.

The #2130 DRV8833 Dual Motor Driver Carrier would not be a good choice if you are using a Raspberry Pi since the Raspberry Pi only has 2 hardware PWM pins and the DRV8833 carrier requires 4 PWM signals (2 for each motor channel). Although, you might be able to set up software PWM for this control method.

It should be fine to use either the DRV8835 Dual Motor Driver Carrier or DRV8835 Dual Motor Driver Kit for Raspberry Pi. You can use our Python libraries with either board as long as you make the same connections to the Raspberry Pi. One benefit of the #2753 expansion board is that it mounts directly on the Raspberry Pi GPIO header (like a HAT) to make the connections easier. It can also optionally power the Raspberry Pi base directly through an add-on regulator, which allows the system to be powered from a single power supply. Additionally, the motor connections can be made through the screw terminal blocks instead of soldering directly to the board.

Brandon

Thank you for the guidance on this. I will choose DRV8835 carrier. I will update after I try.