Mosfet on Pololu 9-DoF MinIMU?

Hi,

i destroyed the MOSFET on the MiniIMU 9DOF Board. Could you please tell me what type/brand it was ?
So I could replace it. I think I killed it with my Static-non-ESD-optimized-Hand :frowning:

Kind Regards
Sam

Hello, Sam.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your MinIMU-9. What makes you think the MOSFET has been damaged? (Are you sure the other parts on the board are working as they should?)

- Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I have two boards and one of them had random communication problems. So I measured every damn part on the board with my multimeter and my probe :smiley: .
First the voltagre regulators … -> OK
…all caps and resistors -> OK
…then the Mosfet which pulling up the accel <-> gyro i2C line to VIO—> not OK.
If I use the mosfet from the board thats ok on the damaged one, everything works fine, so it is definitely this part!

Everything worked fine before (see my other thread: https://forum.pololu.com/t/minimu-9-with-nxp-lpcxpresso-arm-cortex-m3-or-stm32/4273/1), but one day I decided to build everything in a plastic housing - I think this was the day where I damaged the pcb, because I did not ground my self before starting to work.

Kind Regards
Sam

other question … can I remove the mosfet levelshifter and short the lines ? I don’t need any 5V support because I’m working with 3.3V at all

The I/O lines on the MinIMU-9 actually use 1.8 V voltage levels, not 3.3 V, so you would not be able to bypass the level shifters. If you want to try replacing the MOSFET, it is a fairly generic dual N-channel MOSFET in a SOT563 package. Alternatively, if you would rather just try again with a new board, please email us with your order information and we can at least offer you a discount on a replacement.

- Kevin

ok but would any n-mosfet fit in it ?? or does it had to be special requirements ? 1.8 <-> 3.3v or something ?

The most important requirement is that the threshold voltage should be significantly under 1.8 V. The particular dual MOSFET we used is the DMN2400UV.

- Kevin

Hi,

why the new MinIMU v2 has a Mosfet too? both VDD’s are running on 3,3V .
I want to understand :slight_smile:

WR
Sam

Hello, Sam.

The MinIMU-9 v2 includes MOSFET level shifters to make it easier to use with 5 V logic. They can be bypassed if you are using 3.3 V logic, although it is easier and should work just as well to supply 3.3 V on either VIN or VDD without physically modifying the board.

- Kevin