Mini maestro 12 - serial_send_byte

Hello,

I have some problem with my mini maestro 12 !
I want to transfer result from a script to my computer with the usb interface in ‘USB dual port serial mode’.
But, in my terminal program i don’t see my result and classic serial command like ‘‘get position’’ work with my configuration !
It is possible to get my script result with this mode ?

Thank you and sorry for my english.

Hello,

What terminal program are you using, and how are you sending the command?

If you do not know how to send and receive binary data, you could start by using the Pololu Serial Transmitter.

-Paul

My terminal program is Realterm and if i send the get position command (0XAA,0X0C,0X10,0X00) i get the correct value from the maestro.
But if i send the command restart my script (0XAA,0X0C,0X21,0X00) i don’t have any value in my terminal program. My script is a loop wich send 50 with the serial_send_byte command. The command 0XAA,0X0C,0X2E (get script status) send a value of 0 which correspond to a running script !

Eric

Hello,

First you said that the get position did not work - now it works? Did something change? If so, I am glad that you got it working.

Anyway, the documentation for the Maestro scripting language says that serial_send_byte “sends that byte to the TTL serial output (TX)”. So you will not see the output in your terminal program over the USB interface. If you really want to see it, you could connect a wire between TX and RX, and open a separate copy of realterm, connecting to the virtual TTL port of your Maestro.

Note that you can check whether your script is running by keeping the Maestro Control Center open when using the terminal program.

-Paul

Thank you !
All is working with a wire between rx and tx pin. Now, i can see my script result on my terminal program (TTL port).

I have a new question : It is possible to have the same result send to the command port ? I wan’t to have my script result in the terminal program connected to the command port and control another device with the TTL port.

Thank you

Eric

Hello,

Sorry, that is not a feature of the Maestro. We added the serial_send_byte command to make it possible to use the Maestro as the main controller for some other serial devices (motor controllers, etc.), but we did not expect that anyone would need it for communication with a PC. Why not just write a program on your PC and use it to control the Maestro via serial commands, instead of having a script on the Maestro?

-Paul

Yes, the solution is to write the program on my PC to control both the maestro and other device connected in the maestro (TX and RX pin). For me, the advantage of scripts is to create additional features accessible through serial communication and have a simplified program on my computer.

Thank you for your help.

Eric