Microphone Help

Will pololu.com/catalog/product/1620 work with hands free devices that have a three wire microphone standard? I have a hands free device in my stereo but the stock microphone is terrible. Upon splicing the cable I find 3 wires going to the micro phone red ,black and white. I am assuming +,-, and data. Would the microphone listed above serve as a replacement or are there other microphones that would work better?

Hello.

Just knowing that your existing microphone has three wires is not enough to determine whether the microphone you linked to can serve as a suitable replacement. Do you have an oscilloscope you could use to look at the microphone output? Can you verify that the red and black lines really are power and ground and check to see what the voltage is?

Note that the Electret microphone you linked to is not particularly high-quality microphone; rather, it is an inexpensive and relatively easy way to integrate sound-detection into an embedded system. Even if it would work as a direct replacement for your microphone, I cannot say whether it will work better.

- Ben

The red and black lines are power that provide 5V. The only oscilloscope I have is the SLO scope on my avr programmer so I don’t think that would work. I ordered the mic anyway, if it doesn’t work for this then I can just use it in another project.

At least the power seems right. My concern is what kind of gain the rest of the system is expecting from the microphone. Please let us know how it turns out!

- Ben

Ok, I will. As far as I can tell the current microphone has no amplifiers what soever this could be why it is so bad. You have to repeat everything you say at least once for the other person to make sense of it.

The Microphone works! It sounds a lot better than the stock one.
Thanks!

That’s great! Thanks for letting us know.

- Ben