Micro Maestro Newbie Help

Hi,
I’m an absolute noob at servos (and electronics in general) and I bought a micro maestro servo controller but I can’t make it do anything. I read the online manual, I plugged in the servo and a battery but when I change the target slider in the control centre, nothing happens. I may have plugged in the batteries in the wrong way around at first and it produced a bad smell. Could that have ruined the chip?

Hello.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you damaged something. Can you try disconnecting everything from the Maestro and connecting it to a computer that has the Maestro drivers installed on it? Does the computer recognize it and does the Maestro control center work with it? Where did you connect the battery when you had it reversed?

-Aaron

Thanks for the reply,
I connected the controller to my PC and it was recognised fine. I connected the battery to the two pins labelled BAT but I forget to check which pin was positive and negative. I think the smell was coming from the servo itself and when I corrected the battery it started getting very hot so I believe that is broken. The controller seems OK but without a working servo I can’t tell for sure.

Hello.

Unfortunately, it sounds like your servo was permanently damaged by the reverse voltage. You are right that you will have to get a new one to rule out damage to the Maestro, but it probably is okay, since the battery pins only provide power to the servos.

-Aaron