Micro Maestro and IR remote for Sony camera

I have a micro maestro 6ch and I bought an IR shutter remote for RC FPV type transmitters, hoping it would be compatible so i can program the maestro for a time lapse type of application, specifically astrophotography. i bought this off ebay.
ebay.com/itm/251951020723?_t … EBIDX%3AIT

its supposed to be used with a 3 position switch, “up” to trigger the photo. “down” to trigger video stop/start. i figured the maestro could simulate that somehow.

at first try, it doesnt seem to work.

i have it connected to ch. 0, and tried it either as servo or input across all positions using the maestro software sliders. the unit lights up, does its startup routine to show that its in mode 1 for sony. camera is in remote command mode and works with my other IR remote. nothing seems to make it trigger. i also tried 1, 2 and 20 ms in settings.

anyone know if theres a setting to simulate this 3 position switch? or what i need to do to make the maestro work with this?

thank you.

We are not very familiar with that IR shutter remote, so I cannot be entirely sure how it works. However, if it accepts standard RC servo pulses, you can connect the output from the Maestro to it, and use the slider tabs in the Maestro Control Center to figure out which set of pulse widths you need to generate to get the behavior you want. To do this, the channel in the Maestro Control Center you want to use to send signals to the remote should be designated as “Servo” under the “Channel Settings” tab, and the “Enabled” checkbox checked under the “Status” tab. The shutter remote should be powered, and it should share a common ground with the Maestro.

The Maestro does not have any specific setting to imitate 3 position switch RC receivers.

-Jon

Thanks for your reply. Thats pretty much exactly what I tried to do.

I dont have this exact IR remote but I figure it should work the same.

Can I get some technical insight as to what the RC controller is doing when going from center to up/down? like the pulses it should be giving, so that i can replicate it by the maestro.

The standard RC servo signal has a range of pulse widths from 1.0 to 2.0ms, with 1.5ms corresponding to the neutral position. For example, in your video, a pulse width of 1.5ms would corresponded to the signal being transmitted when the right joystick position is centered, and 2.0ms is probably the pulse width being transmitted when the joystick is pushed to its up-most position. You can learn more about the servo control interface in this blog post, and more about what servos are and how they work in this series of blog posts.

-Jon