Micro Maestro 6 channel with Fedora GNU/Linux?

Has any one successfully used the Micro Maestro 6-Channel USB Servo controller with Redhat Fedora 13 GNU/Linux? The Pololu documentation is distro-specific and only includes install steps for Ubuntu GNU/Linux. The list of package names don’t match any Fedora packages. Also, I’m not having any luck getting Fedora to see the USB device. The messages log reports:

kernel: hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port one

I can see an LED blink briefly on the controller board but nothing after that.

I tried manually doing a “modprobe cdc_acm” which appeared to successfully install the required driver. The log reported:

kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
kernel: cdc_acm: v0.26:USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems
kernel: hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port one

If anyone has figure out how to get this little board working with Fedora GNU/Linux, I’d love to get a link to some detailed instructions. Thanks!

Update: I’ve made some progress. On the USB issues, my problem was that the device was already plugged in when I did the modprobe. Once I disconnected and reconnected the cable, it was recognized correctly. Here’s what seems to work:

1. make sure the Micro Maestro is not connected
  2. type “modprobe cdc_acm”
  3. connect Micro Maestro USB cable

Once I did this I got a solid green light and a blinking yellow light on the controller, which seems hopeful. Here’s what I see in the message log afterwards:

Jun 29 20:24:49 triffid kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
Jun 29 20:24:49 triffid kernel: usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=1ffb, idProduct=0089
Jun 29 20:24:49 triffid kernel: usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=5
Jun 29 20:24:49 triffid kernel: usb 2-1: Product: Pololu Micro Maestro 6-Servo Controller
Jun 29 20:24:49 triffid kernel: usb 2-1: Manufacturer: Pololu Corporation
Jun 29 20:24:49 triffid kernel: usb 2-1: SerialNumber: 00001963
Jun 29 20:24:49 triffid kernel: cdc_acm 2-1:1.0: This device cannot do calls on its own. It is not a modem.
Jun 29 20:24:49 triffid kernel: cdc_acm 2-1:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
Jun 29 20:24:49 triffid kernel: cdc_acm 2-1:1.2: This device cannot do calls on its own. It is not a modem.
Jun 29 20:24:49 triffid kernel: cdc_acm 2-1:1.2: ttyACM1: USB ACM device
Jun 29 20:24:49 triffid modem-manager: (ttyACM0) opening serial device…
Jun 29 20:24:50 triffid modem-manager: (ttyACM1) opening serial device…

Still no luck with the Mono stuff though. It appears this is all you need to do on Fedora:

yum install mono-core

I can load MaestroControlCenter by typing:

mono MaestroControlCenter

The GUI loads but produces this error message:

“Pololu Maestro Control Center”
“There was an error while starting up. libusb-1”

I guess what I need now is to figure out how to put MaestroControlCenter in debug or verbose mode so I can get a better idea of what’s going wrong. I do have libusb1 loaded:

# rpm -q libusb1
libusb1-1.0.6-x.fc13.i686

Any suggestions?

Hello,

I believe that error means that mono was unable to load a shared library identified by the string “libusb-1.0”.

Here is someone who might have gotten it working on Fedora - he said that making a link to the library got it to load. We do not have a Fedora machine around to try it, but we can try to help you get it working one way or another if that does not work for you.

-Paul