Micro Dual Serial Motor Controller

Is an 8.4v NiMh battery safe for a Micro Dual Serial Motor Controller? The stated voltage maximum is 9v, but when my 8.4 volt battey is fully charged it is 9.7v. Will this harm the motor controller?

Thanks,
Tracy

Hello,

The motor controller should handle the battery you have, as long as the current isn’t too high. The voltage should also drop to below 9 pretty quickly once you start using the battery.

- Jan

Jan,

Thanks for your reply.

I am having trouble with the motor controller heating up very quickly. For motors I am using Blue-Bird BMS-631 servos with the electronics removed. The controller/ motor combination worked OK with four AA batteries. But with the 8.4v, even with only one motor at 1/3 speed and no load, the controller is getting painfully hot! With two motors, it only runs for a few seconds then turns off. Am I asking too much from the controller?

Thanks,
Tracy

It sounds like you are asking too much. However, painfully hot is not necessarily bad for motor drivers, which are generally going to get hot when you push them (the thermal shutoff is typically around 150 C, although that’s inside the package). If you’re just past what the controller can deliver, you might be able to get by by attaching a heat sink. You can glue one on with thermally conductive epoxy.

- Jan