Micro Dual Serial Motor Controller problems

I have been working at this problem for days now and I have even used some of the examples from this site but I can not for the life of me get this controller to work. I hooked up the controller to an 9V battery on pin 1 then pin 2 has been hooked up to the Basic stamp ground, pin 3 is hooked up to the Basic Stamp 5V supply. I then hooked Pin 4 and 5 up to the basic stamp Pin 0 and 1 to control serial and reset. I used the code from both the controller manual and some code from another member’s issue I was reading about, below is what I am working with. After all of this work and trouble shooting I can not get the motor to spin at all I am using a MABUCHI RS360SH- 3-9v DC MOTOR to drive the system. If anyone out their has any ideas I would be greatful I also will post a link to the top view of the bot I hope you can see everything ok in this picture. I fear that I might have a bad controller or I did something to burn it up although I haven’t smelled anything burning at this point.

http://www.digital-domain.us/photos/Robot%20Pictures/Bot_project.JPG

' {$STAMP BS2}
' {$PBASIC 2.5}

' pin 0 is serial TX
OUTPUT 0
' pin 1 is reset
OUTPUT 1

DEBUG "Resetting controller...", CR
PAUSE 2000
LOW 1
PAUSE 2000
HIGH 1
PAUSE 2000

DO
   DEBUG "Sending forward cmd...", CR
   SEROUT 0, 84, [$80, 0, 1, 127]
   PAUSE 5000

DEBUG "Sending reverse cmd...", CR
   SEROUT 0, 84, [$80, 0, 0, 127]
   PAUSE 5000
LOOP

Hello,

Just to make sure, you have the negative side of the battery connected to ground, too, right?

Also, I suspect that your motor might be well past what the controller (or even you 9V battery) can support. Do you know what kind of current it draws? It looks like your setup might be some sort of RC car chassis, and if that’s the case, the motor could easily draw ten times the current that the micro dual serial motor controller is made for.

- Jan

I did a double check on all of the grounds and everything is good I went as far as taking all the extra stuff out for now. I have the Basic Stamp 5v running to the controller Pin 1 and 3 then I have the Basic Stamp/Battery ground running to Pin 2 of the controller. I still am not getting any voltage at any level on pins 6-9. I double checked the motor specs and from what I see they are .36amps.

Can you try making pin 0 high early on (before you reset the motor controller)? For the motor, where are the specs from, and what is the 0.36A spec for? On decent motors, stall currents are easily dozens of times higher than no-load currents.

- Jan

Ok I went a head and change my code

[code]’ {$STAMP BS2}
’ {$PBASIC 2.5}

’ pin 0 is serial TX
OUTPUT 0
’ pin 1 is reset
OUTPUT 1
HIGH 0
HIGH 2
DEBUG “Resetting controller…”, CR
PAUSE 2000
LOW 1
’PAUSE 2000
HIGH 1
PAUSE 100

DO
   DEBUG "Sending forward cmd...", CR
   SEROUT 0, 84, [$80, 0, 1, 127]
   PAUSE 5000

DEBUG "Sending reverse cmd...", CR
   SEROUT 0, 84, [$80, 0, 0, 127]
   PAUSE 5000
LOOP[/code]

and here is where I got the specs from
http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/cgi-bin/catalog/e_catalog.cgi?CAT_ID=rs_360sh

And it still isn’t working? How are you testing it? Something you can try to get things going is just using LEDs (and appropriate resistors) instead of motors; that way, you’ll see if the output is on. You can use a bi-color LED or two LEDs back-to-back so you can tell the direction. That way, you have your meter free to probe other things, such as power connections, while still being aware of the motor outputs.

The motor is still a problem though. Assuming you have the 3-9V version of the motor, it’s not even close to suitable for the motor controller you’re using. You have to look at the stall current to get an idea of the current the motor is going to draw when starting up, and that should be around 1A for the micro motor controller. For the motor you have, the appropriate motor controller is the TReX dual motor controller.

- Jan

Ok I decided to do a completly rebuild I reworked the board and now I have it working. It does run the motor ok but not with enough power to move the fairly heavy body so I will have to work on that. Thank you for your time and pointing me in the right directions.

I’m happy to hear you got it working. Any idea what the problem was?

- Jan

One issue I noticed is that I had to much resistance on the 9v line feeding pin 1, I thought I needed to draw power down from the 10.7 volts my battery was putting out but that was without a load on it. What would happen is once I put a load on pin 6/7 the voltage would drop to a volt or less and the controller had no power to push out to the motor. I decided to wait on the monster truck body until I can get a bigger controller and moved over to a small car body that I had this works just fine.