Manual for this pololu mortor #1446

is there a manual for setting this motor up? thanks

Hello.

It’s just a standard DC motor with a quadrature encoder on it. All the information we have is available on the product page. If you have any specific questions after reading through the product page, please ask.

- Ben

is there a wiring instruction for this motor? Can you show me how to control this motor? Thanks, Ben.

The black and red wires are used to power the motor; connecting power in one orientation will make the motor spin one way, and reversing the power will make the motor spin the other way. You most likely want to use a motor controller to control the motor. For example, here are instructions from our newest motor controller on connecting it to a motor:

pololu.com/docs/0J44/4.1

In this case, OUTA and OUTB would go to the red and black wires (it doesn’t matter which one goes to which).

Reading the encoder is a bit more tricky. You’ll need to power the encoder using the blue and green wires, and the encoder outputs (yellow and white wires) should be connected to something that can read them, such as a microcontroller programmed with code to read a quadrature encoder.

- Ben

can I just control the motor with a microprocessor board such as the motorola HCS12 board?

I’m not familiar with that board. If it has integrated motor drivers, then maybe.

- Ben

Ben, how to drive this motor?

After I power the motor with a 12V source, what else can I do with the other wires so I can make it go back and forth? Thank you!

It’s just a standard brushed DC motor. If you apply voltage in one direction, the motor spins one way. If you apply voltage in the other direction, the motor will spin the other way. In general, you will need to use a motor driver to supply power to the motor and control the direction in which it turns. Only the red and black wires are used to power the motor. All of the other wires have to do with the encoder feedback (there is nothing you can do with these wires to affect the speed or direction of the motor). You should probably take some time to understand how brushed DC motors work:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushed_DC_electric_motor

- Ben