Making A fast line follower bot

hello

I intent to make a fast line follower using Pololu parts. Need some help in order to choose right components.
From the threads posted by other forum members i made the list of following components:

1. QTR-8RC Reflectance Sensor Array
  2. 2x30:1 Micro Metal Gearmotor HP
  3. TB6612FNG Dual Motor Driver Carrier
  4. Pololu Micro Metal Gearmotor Bracket Extended Pair

I have few questions:

1. Arduino Duemilanove
    Is pololu sensor library compatible with arduono 0018
    or should i buy baby orangutan controller.

2. Arduino has only 5 adc ports and 13 digital port.
    So if i buy QTR-8RC digital sensor array will it work.

3. TB6612FNG Dual Motor Driver Carrier
    Is it sufficient for driving 2 hp motors or should should i buy 2 TB6612FNG

Regards

Hello.

1. The Arduino library for the QTR sensors is compatible with the most recent version of the Arduino IDE, and it should be compatible with earlier versions as well. However, I recommend going with the Baby Orangutan since it has the TB6612 motor driver built-in and the Pololu AVR library makes it easy to control the motors. The Baby Orangutan B-328 + programmer combo is only a few dollars more than the Arduino Uno (and you can get it during the upcoming Black Friday sale for significantly less).

You could also consider going with the Orangutan SVP, which has motor drivers that are twice as powerful (so they will work better with the 30:1 HP micro metal gearmotors), an integrated programmer, more I/O lines, and many other useful features. You can save 40% if you get an SVP during the Black Friday sale. The Orangutan SVP is significantly better than the Arduino Uno in pretty much every way, especially if your goal is to build a robot.

1. The Arduino Uno has six analog inputs, not five. If you get the 8RC sensor, you will need a digital I/O line for each reflectance sensor in the array that you want to use (there’s no reason why you have to use all eight sensors, and the sensor array board can be broken into a smaller, 6-sensor array).

2. The TB6612 (and hence the Baby Orangutan) is slightly underpowered for the 30:1 HP motors, but you can make it work if you use them right. Specifically, you should keep the motor voltage low (try for 6 V or under), and you will need to avoid stalling the motors for a prolonged period of time. You should also probably avoid things like changing directly from full-speed forward to full-speed reverse. You won’t have to take such precautions if you use a single TB6612 (with paralleled outputs) per motor (this is what the Orangutan SVP does).

- Ben