Maestro & PIR Sensor

Dear all,

I have a Mini Maestro (12 channel) which I plan to use with a Parallax PIR sensor. That PIR sensor runs off 5V and outputs HIGH when triggered and LOW when idle. It says it is a single bit output (digital), so it sounds like it either outputs 0V or 5V. Since the 12 channel mini maestro only has analog inputs, how would I use this? Do I plug it into the analog inputs and use the GET_POSITION to find 0V or 5V? I believe that would be 0 and 1023 in my script. Would it be more reliable to say anything less than 500 is 0V (no movement) and above 500 is 5V (movement detected)?

Also, would I need a pull-up resistor for this, or can I plug it directly into the regulated 5V out, ground, and signal? I am a little confused about the need for a pull-up/pull-down resistor. The PIR sensor I am planning to purchase is shown in the link below.

robotshop.ca/parallax-pir-motion-sensor.html

Thanks,
Philip

Hello,

I do not know anything about the Parallax sensor, but the one we sell says explicitly that it requires an external pull-up resistor, and it should work fine with the Maestro. A cutoff of 500 would probably be perfectly fine.

-Paul

Great, thanks Paul! Maybe I will purchase that PIR instead.

Thanks,
Philip