Maestro 6-Channel + Pololu Carrier with Sharp GP2Y0D810Z0F

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am still a novice in this so I am asking you to let me know how Pololu Carrier with Sharp GP2Y0D810Z0F Digital Distance Sensor 10cm can be connected to Micro Maestro 6-Channel USB Servo Controller. I will be really grateful for a scheme with the list of necessary elements.

Hello.

You can set the channel you want to use to an input in the Maestro Control Center. Then, with power and USB disconnected, connect VIN to Maestro’s +5V output, OUT to the channel’s signal pin, and GND to Maestro’s GND. After all your connections are secure you can reconnect USB. When the distance sensor carrier’s LED turns on, you should see a LOW value displayed in the Maestro Control Center for the channel you used.

- Ryan

1 Like

Thank you. Everything works. There is only one thing I do not understand: does Pololu Carrier with Sharp GP2Y0D810Z0F Digital Distance Sensor 10cm show the distance to the object or only indicate that the object is within the sensor’s range of action?

Digital distance sensors only indicate whether or not an object is within the range of the sensor. This is where the “digital” comes from – the sensor returns either a “high” (no object) or “low” (object found) voltage. Analog distance sensors will return a specific voltage based on the distance the object is from the sensor. We refer to these types of sensors as “analog” because returns are not just “high” or “low” but a range of values (anywhere from less than a volt to Vin in most cases). Hope this helps.