Jrk 21v3 getting HOT?

Hi All.

I have hooked up 2 x Jrk 21v3 to a couple of linear actuators with feedback, and I’m controlling them with an RC receiver. The setup is working very well. But the Jrk 21v3 are getting VERY hot, even when the actuators are in idle. I have tried to disconnect the RC receiver, and then the Jrk 21v3 cool down right away.
There are NO servos or anything else connected to the RC receiver, so it’s only drawing aprox. 100 mA. Could this be the reason ?, if yes, can I use a external battery for the receiver, and should I then disconnect the + wire, from the receiver to the Jrk 21v3 ? (this is sometimes done, when using “normal” speed regulators with external power).

I hope you can understand what I mean with all this, and is able to give me some MUCH needed help :slight_smile:

Best regards from.
Christian
Denmark

Hello, Christian.

As section 1.a of the Jrk user’s guide states, the Jrk derives 5 V from VIN with a linear regulator, which dissipates excess power as heat. We recommend drawing no more than 50 mA from the 5V line, and this figure decreases as the voltage on VIN increases. If your receiver is drawing about 100 mA, then it is putting a larger load on the regulator than it was intended to handle, so that would definitely explain why your Jrk is getting hot.

You seem to have the right idea about solving the problem; as you said, you should use an external battery (or some other power supply) for the receiver, and you should disconnect the Jrk’s 5V line from the receiver (so that only RX and ground are connected).

- Kevin

Kevin.

Thank you very much for your answer :slight_smile: . I’m glad, that I did the right thing, I just wanted to make sure my solutions, was the right one.

Thanks and best regards from.

Christian