I need advice for mobile robot navigation

I just have finished doing a simulation by Matlab environment for navigation a mobile robot from its initial point to goal point without collide with any obstacles dependent on the Artificial Potential Field algorithm , and it is done successfully.
Now , I would like to do that practically and I’m new to this “world” , I have built my robot with two motors and ultrasonic sensors , but the hardest part which I faced is which components should I have to get the current position (i.e. (x,y)) and the orientation (i.e. Azimuth) of mobile robot , so what is the simple approach and simple components for this task , please give me the simple solution because I am novice and I have no enough time, it is just one month and I should finish that . I would be very much appreciate any help.

thanks

Hello.

You might consider using an encoder solution for that. If you want to keep the motors you have, you might consider marking a small section of your wheels with regular masking tape (or anything else that readily reflects infrared light) and using something like our QTR-1RC sensors to count the number of wheel rotations. Some of our 25D mm and 37D mm motors come with encoders, too. So, if you are open to swapping out your motors, you might consider using one of them.

By the way, I deleted your other more recent post in the Electronics part of our forum, since it was nearly identical to this post.

-Jon

Here is one overview of steering a two wheel differential drive robot, using wheel encoders (there are many others): rossum.sourceforge.net/papers/DiffSteer/

Dear Mr. JonathanKosh

Kindly many thanks to ,dear what I get from your post as follow , if I want to keep my normal motors which had no encoder so I should use QTR-1RC sensors to work as a encoder or I should buy a new one of 25D mm and 37D mm motors come with encoders , is that correct ?
If that’s correct , so the question is
1- Is QTR-1RC sensors compatible with any motor had no encoder ?
2- Is the encoder capable to provide position of robot as ( x,y)
3- What is about the angle of robot (Azimuth ) how could I get it ?

Many thanks

dear Mr. Jim

Many thanks to you I 'll check this paper i hope it is be useful.

thanks

Yes, if you want to keep your motors, you will have to add your own encoder solution. There are many ways you can go about adding an encoder solution. The QTR-1RC sensors could be a part of that solution, but they are not a full encoder solution by themselves. If you decide to use 25D mm or 37D mm gearmotors and you want to use encoders, just make sure you order gearmotors that come with the encoder.

Jim’s link looks like a good starting point for answering your other two questions.

-Jon