How to power 12 channel servo with one supply

Hi. I see how you would wire up a 6 channel servo controller to one power supply, (https://www.pololu.com/docs/0J40/7.a) but how do I do this with the 12 channel power supply?

I would also like to set it up so I can run it with either a battery or a plug-in power supply.

I am new to all this. I appreciate your help.

Hello.

You can power the 12 channel Mini Maestro using a single power supply by connecting it to the dedicated servo power pins located in the corner of the board and then use the included shorting block to connect the pins labeled “VSRV=VIN”:

-Ryan

1 Like

Hello @RyanSchnitzler

I had a similar question. I recently purchased:

• #1352 - Mini Maestro 12-Channel USB Servo Controller (Assembled)
  • #1057 - Power HD High-Torque Servo 1501MG
  • #1461 - Wall Power Adapter: 5VDC, 3A, 5.5×2.1mm Barrel Jack, Center-Positive
  • #2449 - DC Barrel Jack to 2-Pin Terminal Block Adapter

I’d like to power my servo via my wall power adapter. I was checking out your screenshot and saw the 2-pin terminal block in the bottom right, and didn’t see that on my. After further it looks like the screenshot is for the 18 channel variation and not the 12.

To get this to be powered do I need? :

• plug my “Wall power adapter barrel jack” into my “DC barrel jack to 2-pin block adapter”
  • run wires from the “DC barrel jack to 2-pin block adapter” to the “2 servo power pins” (pic below)

If so, are there some wires or fittings I can get to make this more straight forward and less error prone?

Thank you,
Joe

Hello, Joe.

Yes, you can power your Maestro as you described.

You might consider using our wires with pre-crimped terminals and a 1x2 connector housing to make a connection cable.

-Derrill

1 Like