Help needed to interface Pololu 3A Motor Controller

Hi all ,
This is my first post , Recently i bought a motor controller from pololu https://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/392

I want to connect a hobby servo motor to this and control it.controlling in the sense that i should be able to rotate it forward and backwards as a first step .
Is any microcontroller board is needed to control it? (Like arduino board, because i have it)
Could anybody provide me the connection diagram ?This is the link to the user guide https://www.pololu.com/file/0J61/smc03a_guide.pdf
Thanx

Hey can you give me the connection diagram to connect the RC hobby servo to the controller through Arduino?
I have used the following link to get goinghttp://printarduino.blogspot.in/2010/02/arduino-and-pololu-motor-controller.html
I have tried the code and with following connections:
controller pin3 (Serial input ) is given to Arduino digital pin1(TX pin)
controller pin5(Reset pin) is given to Arduino digital pin7
RC Hobby servo is connected to controller’s motor positive and negative inputs (PWM input is left out)
controllers pin1 and pin2 & motor power and ground (Motor controller) are supplied from Arduino 5v
Jumper J1 is removed to select the serial interface.
I have used the following code and uploaded successfully.

int resetPin = 7; //need to have a reset pin so you can control motors

void setup()
{
delay(1000); //delay for 1 second
Serial.begin(9600); //Serial set to 9600 baud
pinMode(resetPin,OUTPUT); //set the reset pin to HIGH to program

//move motor(s)

}

void loop()
{
digitalWrite(resetPin,LOW); //reset the motorcontroller
delay(100); //delay for 1 msec
digitalWrite(resetPin,HIGH); //intitiate motorcontroller
delay(1000); //delay 1 second

//Serial.print(0x80,BYTE); //command motorcontroller
//Serial.print(0x00,BYTE); //move parameter

//**motors are configured as motors 2 and 3 by default 2 is right side and 3 is left side
//Serial.print(0x05,BYTE); //right side motor move forward
//Serial.print(0x04,BYTE); //right side motor move backward

//Serial.print(0x07,BYTE); //left side motor move forward
//Serial.print(0x06,BYTE); //left side motor move backward

//Serial.print(0x3F,BYTE); //speed setting command 0x7F = full speed; 0x3F half speed; 0x00 speed off

//both motors in sequence allowing both motors to move
Serial.print(0x80,BYTE); //command motorcontroller
Serial.print(0x00,BYTE); //move parameter
Serial.print(0x05,BYTE); //right side motor move forward
Serial.print(0x3F,BYTE); //speed setting command 0x7F = full speed; 0x3F half speed; 0x00 speed off

Serial.print(0x07,BYTE); //left side motor move forward
Serial.print(0x3F,BYTE); //speed setting command 0x7F = full speed; 0x3F half speed; 0x00 speed off

delay(3000); //let it run for 3 seconds

}

Thanx

Hey can you give me the connection diagram to connect the RC hobby servo to the controller through Arduino?

I have used the following link to get going http://printarduino.blogspot.in/2010/02/arduino-and-pololu-motor-controller.html
I have tried the code and with following connections:
controller pin3 (Serial input ) is given to Arduino digital pin1(TX pin)
controller pin5(Reset pin) is given to Arduino digital pin7
RC Hobby servo is connected to controller’s motor positive and negative inputs (PWM input is left out)
controllers pin1 and pin2 & motor power and ground (Motor controller) are supplied from Arduino 5v
Jumper J1 is removed to select the serial interface.
I have used the following code and uploaded successfully.

int resetPin = 7; //need to have a reset pin so you can control motors

void setup()
    {
    Serial.begin(9600); //Serial set to 9600 baud
    pinMode(resetPin,OUTPUT); //set the reset pin to HIGH to program

//move motor(s)

}

void loop()
    {
    digitalWrite(resetPin,LOW); //reset the motorcontroller
    delay(100); //delay for 1 msec
    digitalWrite(resetPin,HIGH); //intitiate motorcontroller
    delay(1000); //delay 1 second

//Serial.print(0x80,BYTE); //command motorcontroller
    //Serial.print(0x00,BYTE); //move parameter

//**motors are configured as motors 2 and 3 by default 2 is right side and 3 is left side
    //Serial.print(0x05,BYTE); //right side motor move forward
    //Serial.print(0x04,BYTE); //right side motor move backward

//Serial.print(0x07,BYTE); //left side motor move forward
    //Serial.print(0x06,BYTE); //left side motor move backward

//Serial.print(0x3F,BYTE); //speed setting command 0x7F = full speed; 0x3F half speed; 0x00 speed off

//both motors in sequence allowing both motors to move
    Serial.print(0x05,BYTE); //right side motor move forward

Serial.print(0x07,BYTE); //left side motor move forward

delay(3000); //let it run for 3 seconds

}

Thanx

Hello.

The Pololu 3A Motor Controller with Feedback is not designed to control standard RC servos. To control a servo, you would want to get a servo controller such as our Micro Maestro 6-Channel USB Servo Controller or just send the servo pulses directly from your Arduino. There is a Servo library included with the Arduino IDE so you should be able to find plenty of tutorials online for using it.

–David

I moved one of your posts into this thread because you posted it on a thread about LabVIEW, and your question is not about LabVIEW. --David

HEH OR ELSE I LL USE DC MOTOR ,
The thing is i want to have pid controllers implemented with the motor ,
Could you please check the connections ?
And also please suggest how to getget position feedback from motor controller, do i need any extra hardware like encoeder or ?

Thanx

The connections in your previous post are wrong because you are trying to connect a hobby servo to the motor controller, and because you are using the hardware UART of the Arduino (TX line) to talk to the controller. The TX and RX lines are used for programming the Arduino, so if you set up your system like this then the motor controller will get lots of invalid commands whenever you upload a sketch. I recommend using a different pin and using the SoftwareSerial library. Also, powering a motor from the Arduino’s 5V is not likely to work.

Yes, to get position feedback you would need to couple a potentiometer to the output of your motor and wire it correctly. If you haven’t already, I recommend reading the user’s guide, which can be found in the Resources tab.

By the way, we haven’t sold the Pololu 3A Motor Controller with Feedback since 2010. Are you sure you have that specific product?

–David