Help needed for Maestro 6-channel USB Servo Controller

Hello there
I am newbee to servo controllers. I am using Maestro 6 channel USB servo controller with PC and third party exe turret software for controlling 3 servos and and Now I need to replace third servo in relay switch for LED light. I mean I want to switch on and off LED with that third servo output. Is there any simple way to do it. Thanks a lot in advance for help.

Aman

Hello, Aman.

Yes, you can probably make the modification pretty easily. First you should run our Maestro Control Center software, which is available for download from the user’s guide. Then in the Channel Settings tab, you can find the servo channel you want to change, and change its Mode from “Servo” to “Output”. Now you can simply connect an LED from that channel’s signal line to GND, as shown in the “Wiring Examples” section of the user’s guide. The software will probably work as before without modification, and whenever the software commands a position of 1500 microseconds or more, the LED will turn on.

If you aren’t able to connect to the Maestro in the Maestro Control Center, and you purchased the Maestro from a third party as part of a larger system, please see this thread:

An alternative is to use a Pololu RC Switch with Digital Output.

–David

Hello David
Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestion, it will solve my problem. One more question. How to convert servo PWM signal into corresponding precise VDC? Do you guys have any interface for it?

Thanks in advance.

Aman

Hello, Aman.

Unfortunately, we do not have a device for converting servo signals to a precise DC voltage. You could consider getting a more advanced microcontroller that has DAC, and then programming it to convert servo signals to an analog output.

A cheap/hacky way to do it would be to send the servo signal into a regular RC servo, and hack into the servo to get access to the internal feedback voltage in the servo, i.e. the output of the feedback potentiometer. Of course this would be noisy and waste a lot of power, and it assumes that the servo’s potentiometer is always powered, which is not necessarily true for every model of servo.

–David

Hello David
I like your hacky way idea. what I am trying to do here is, to track a flying insect during its flight. Currently I am using Align servos with response time 0.06 sec/60 degree with turret software. But there is a lag period due to servo which is not allowing me to flying insect tracking in real time. Software is doing its part well but seems I have hardware issue. So I am trying to convert servo digital output of pololu micro servo controller into VDC and then feed this VDC into two speaker coil (or something similar) by making little voltage adjustment. so that mirror attached to these 2 speakers give me XY angular deflection of laser beam based on vision input. I hope this will eliminate lag period caused by servos. Please let me know if you can suggest anything better than this…

Thanks

Aman