Dual VNH2SP30 Motor Driver Carrier MD03A - OPEN output

Hello,

I would like to know if there is a way to set one of the output pin (A or B) to OPEN rather to LOW or HIGH ?

When I look at the VNH2SP30 spec sheet figure 1 (p.5) it appears to me that it would be possible if none of the mosfet where activated. If someone can explain me what I do not understand, that would be even better.

thanks,

Nic

Hello.

By setting the 1DIAG/EN or the 2DIAG/EN pin low it will cause the respective channel outputs on the driver to be open instead of low or high. You can read more about it in the datasheet located on the product page under the resources tab. Is there a specific reason you want the outputs set as open?

-Tony

The reason would be to accomplish the following circuit (3 phase BLDC motor control) using 2 carrier MD03A. For it to work, I would need to bring A & B to OPEN state sometimes… Which I can’t do so far. It looks like A & B are either LOW or HIGH. I will try what you suggest. Is what you propose stated in table 4, 7th row?

Thank you very much.

Hello.

Yes, setting the motor driver outputs as open is detailed in that section of the datasheet; you can also find this in table 13. However, note that the VNH2SP30 is not intended to switch between enabled and disabled outputs quickly, so any high-frequency PWM or commutation is not likely to work well. We do not recommend using that board (or the other ST VNH drivers) for BLDC motors and have no advice for using it in that way.

-Tony