Dual VNH2SP30 Carrier MD03A issue-High pitch noise

Hello there,

I’m trying to use the Dual VNH2SP30 Motor Driver Carrier MD03A to power a pair of DC motors (store.amequipment.com/210-series … p-133.html).

When I send the code below from my Arduino Mega, I just get a high-pitched noise from the motors and nothing happens. I checked the battery to see if that was the problem by connecting it directly to the motors and it worked, so it must be something with the driver. The green and red leds on the chip work fine, at least it’s trying to do something.

Any advice?? Thanks!

Carlos

int InA1 = 52;
int InB1 = 50;
int PWM1 = 8;  
int PWM1_val = 64; 

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  pinMode(InA1, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(InB1, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(PWM1, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
    digitalWrite(InA1, LOW);
    digitalWrite(InB1, HIGH);
    analogWrite(PWM1, PWM1_val);
}

Hello, Carlos.

Can you try a higher speed?

- Ben

Hello, Ben,
Thanks for your fast answer. I’ve tried a PMW value of 200 to achieve a higher speed as you suggested. When I connected the battery, a small spark came out of the driver/Arduino (I’m not sure) and my laptop shut down (I was powering the Arduino from a USB port). This was strange…
When I rebooted the computer and connected again, nothing happened, but the motor didn’t move at all. The driver LEDs still work perfectly.
What do you think?
Thank you.
Carlos

EDIT: Sorry, I re-checked and one of the connections was wrong. It works with a PWM value of 200 (can you explain why it didn’t work with a lower speed) but the noise was still on! This is supposed to be an indoor application and the noise makes it a little bit annoying.
Any advice on how to get rid of it?

It takes some minimum voltage for a motor to start turning.

The sound you are hearing is probably the PWM frequency. The best way to get rid of it is to use an ultrasonic (e.g. > 20 kHz) frequency. You might try searching the Arduino forum how to generate a 20 kHz PWM.

- Ben