Demonstration Project

Howdy,
I’m designing a 1/2 scale model of some industrial machinery and I’m looking for some pointers. There are 2 motions I need to program (a door opening and a latch mechanism rotating) and some LED indicator lights that need to respond to limit switches. I think I can pull off the motion with RC servos. Can you recommend a control system and programming tools?

The simple motion:
User manually moves product into position triggering microswitch (LED lights up).
User pushes botton to activate lock mechanism motion (known and fixed and relatively small range of motion). Motion ends and triggers another microswitch (another LED lights up).
User pushes botton to activate door open mechanism motion (known and fixed 110º range of motion).
Pause for discussion and observation (rabbit jumps out of the open door, etc.).
User pushes botton to activate door close mechanism motion (known and fixed 110º range of motion).
User pushes botton to activate unlock mechanism motion (known and fixed and relatively small range of motion).
User manually removes product and demonstration is complete.

The complex version:
User moves product into position triggering microswitch (LED lights up).
User pushes botton to activate automated system that behaves like above ending with the door open.
Pause for discussion and observation (frog jumps out of the open door, etc.).
User pushes botton to activate automated system that behaves like above ending with the door closed and lock mechanism released.
User manually removes product and demonstration is complete.

The killer twist:
Either version activated by remote so the demonstrator can perform without touching the unit.

I am fully capable of designing any mechanical system to accomplish all of the requirements, I just need some direction on the electronics/controls.
Any thoughts?

Hello.

What do you envision controlling this with? Do you want something connected to a computer, or something that will operate on its own without a computer? Do you have any experience with programming a computer or a microcontroller?

- Jan

I was hoping to make it all self contained using a microcontroller. I have not done any programming of microcontrollers yet but I have a great book about controlling PICs. I’ve always wanted to get into this but my focus has been mechanical. This is going to be the project where I learn something new. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

If you’re happy with PICs and your book, it seems like you should be all set. The book should cover connecting switches and LEDs, so the main thing is controlling servos, for which I recommend our micro serial servo controller. I recommend reading the user guide and support materials for that, along with documentation of the UART on your PIC.

- Jan