Controlling the servo using Bluetooth enabled celluler phone

Hi,

I’m working on controlling a RC car using a cellular phone (sending the commands over Bluetooth).
I was thinking of us using the Micro Maestro and connect either a Bluetooth module (such as BTM-110 or GP-GC021) or Bluetooth USB adapter.

My question is related to using a Bluetooth USB adapter - Is it will be possible to send instructions to the controller over the adapter?

Thanks,
David

Hello,

Does your computer already have Bluetooth? If not, you need to get the Bluetooth adapter (which plugs into your computer) AND a Bluetooth-serial module. How did you think it would work with just the adapter? Something needs to connect to the Maestro!

I Googled for those modules and found some pages about them somewhere that indicated that they run at 3.3V. Is that also your understanding? If so, keep in mind that the Maestro is a 5V device. They might work just fine together, but you could have some problems, especially if you have noise on your serial lines. Otherwise, I do not know anything about using them, but you will need to get them to send out non-inverted TTL serial. Do you think you can do that?

-Paul

Hello,

Thanks for the quick answer.

I’ve already found some info on connecting a Bluetooth module to a serial servo controller ( microcontroller-bg.com/btterm ) so I assume it should be the same with the Maestro.

Since the Maestro has a USB slot I was thinking of connecting a standard Bluetooth adapter (I will probably need a “USB A Female to Mini B 5-pin Male” adapter as most of the Bluetooth adapters are USB A male) and use it to send command to the controller.

Thanks,
David

Hello David,

I am pretty sure that “USB A Female to Mini B 5-pin Male” is not a valid USB adapter. It might work in some unusual situations, like if you need to connect a photo printer with USB On-the-go technology to a camera and you have lost the normal cable, but it will not work with the parts you are talking about. Since both the Maestro and the USB adapter are devices, not hosts, doing that would be the equivalent of connecting a keyboard to a mouse - nothing is going to happen.

The Maestro’s USB connection only works when plugged into a Windows or Linux computer.

-Paul