Controlling 2 100:1 Micro Metal Gearmotor HP 6V with a qik 2s9v1

Hi,

I’m trying to control 2 100:1 Micro Metal Gearmotor HP 6V motors with the Qik 2s9v1 dual serial controller. When I try to run the demo program for the motor controller, my motors do not drive. The motors are connected serially to the motor controller and I am using a 12V supply capable of supplying up to 30 A. I’ve followed the set-ups under troubleshooting in the user guide, and have passed those tests except for the second. The motor controller pulses when connected to only the logic level and both colored LEDs blink as described in the document when connected the controller is placed in demo mode without the motors connected. When the motors are connected, they are able to run in the manner described by the document (each motor is driven forward then in reverse).

For some reason, when I send serial commands to the controller, I cannot read them back even in fixed-baud mode. When not in fixed-baud mode and I send the 0xAA command to the motor controller, the LED goes from blinkin every 400 ms to every 2 seconds. What am I doing wrong?

Hello.

What device are you using to send the serial signals? Please note that there are two sets of example code in the Arduino library for the qik controllers; can you make sure that you are running the correct one for your qik (Qik2s9v1Demo)? This example should print the firmware version of your qik to the serial monitor. Can you check to see if this is happening? You might need to add while(!Serial); right after Serial.begin(115200) so the code waits for the serial monitor to be opened before continuing, otherwise it will probably try to print before you can actually open the serial monitor.

Also, could you post some pictures of your setup that show all of your connections?

Brandon

Hi Brandon,

I’m used an Arduino Uno and then switched to using an Arduino Mega. I am using the Qik2s9v1 demo. The serial monitor does not print the firmware version after I upload it to the Mega. I added the while(!Serial); after Serial.begin(115200), but only see this

" a�qik 2s9v1 dual serial motor controller
Firmware version:"

I put the board in demo mode by shorting pin A with B and it worked as specified. I’ve posted pictures of my setup below.

20170622_081528.jpeg

20170622_081500.jpg

20170622_081450.jpg

Thank you for the additional information. Did you solder the header pins to your qik (it is hard to tell from the pictures)? Could you post pictures that show the other side of the qik as well?

Brandon