Connect phone to Zumo 32U4?

I’m trying to connect a smartphone like a Samsung Galaxy to the Zumo 32U4 robot for a school project. I plan to mount the smart phone to the robot and hopefully use the camera to see where the robot is going on a computer screen (or to find a specified object like an apple). I’d like the smart phone to control where the robot goes, and was wondering if this is feasible or if anyone has any experience with this?

Thank you!

Hello.

Your project sounds quite ambitious. We have heard of others doing something similar to what you described using the Zumo robot for Arduino instead of the Zumo 32U4 robot (like this one), but I do not see a why reason you would not be able to do the same thing using the Zumo 32U4. However, we do not have any experience or good advice on how to go about doing that.

- Amanda

Do you know if it would be possible/easier to just have a computer send commands to the robot directly instead of through a smart phone?

Thanks,
Mark

Hi, Mark.

With some added parts, you could establish wireless control between a computer and the Zumo 32U4 robot, and (depending on your background) it might be easier to do than using a smart phone to control the robot. You would need to connect a wireless communication module to the Zumo 32U4 allowing it to send and receive signals between it and the computer (e.g. a Wixel Programmable USB Wireless Module or a HC-06 Bluetooth module), but we do not have any specific recommendations or instructions for doing that.

- Amanda