cmd4: abs. pos. not reached within one step?

hi,
when i run command 4 with e.g. an absoulute position of “3000”, the servo moves only a little bit (around 15 degress i would guess). Then i must run the same command with “3000” again and it will move again only ~15deg.
To get from e.g. “500” to “3000” i must run command 4 with “3000” around 4-5 times, but thats not the sense of an servomotor? Also i dont know where the servo is after e.g. 2 times command 4?

From “500” to “5500” it seemed it moves 180degress totally, but not with one move,perhaps 8-9 times.

i also tried another servomotor, but the same. So what do i wrong? do i think wrong, when my servo is at e.g. “500” and i do command-4 with “3000”, it should move to “3000” in ONE move, or?

thanks
flo

First, to answer your question, the servo should move to its commanded position and stay there after just one command.

What power source/sources are you using to power your controller and servos? And how is it connected?

It sounds like you’re probably using one power source and it isn’t able to provide enough current for your servo. As the servo starts to move, it draws too much current and the voltage of your power source sags. If it drops too low, the microcontroller on your servo controller will reset, and it will stop sending the position command to your servo.

-Adam

hi,
i got a laboratory-power-supply attached to the servocontroller with 5V and 2A settings.

This power i have connected to the servo-power and then i bridged Vcc. I got NO power at the Vin pin connected, should i do that?

thanks for help

flo

hi,
i disconnected the bridge and connected a 7.7volt powersource to VIn+GND and let the lab-power-supply connected to the servopower, but now the servocontroller is not reacting, no lights,nothing.

i can connect 5-16volt to Vin+GND so 7.7v is good i think, or?

flo

Hello,

Your initial problem is almost certainly because of your power supply setup. For the new problem, you might have a bad connection. Also, 7.7V is kind of unusual; how are you getting that? You should be able to disconnect everything except the servo controller power supply and have just the yellow LED turn on. Until you have that happening, you shouldn’t connect anything else.

- Jan

hi,
i got the 7.7v from an net-adapter.

i disconnected all powersources, connected the lab-power-supply to Vin and GND, but then no light is blinking, i tuned from 5volt - 14volt, but no light is blinking,nothing happens?

what does that mean, that the Vin power-in is not working? i do i something wrong?

flo

In general, no LED is not a good sign, especially when things were working before. So you’re really just applying power, and nothing else is connected?

- Jan

hi,
yes, i only have Vin/GND connected and no light to see.

is the servo controller defect? its newly bought, is there a way to exchange it?

flo

Were the LEDs ever on? Can you connect the logic-level serial input to ground and then power up the unit? All the LEDs should then be on.

It’s difficult to tell for sure what’s going on with the unit. If you don’t get it working, you can send it back for us to look at (get an RMA number first).

- Jan

hi,
yes the leds went on if i bridge Vcc and connect only one powersource at the servo-power-pins.

With a powersource at Vcc and no bridge at Vcc, no lights went on.

i connected logic-level-serial-input to GND and power to Vcc and GND, but no lights went on?

flo

Can you get back to your original setup, and do the lights then work?

- Jan

hi,
i bridged Vcc again and setup 5volt and 2A lab-power-supply to servo-power pins, then the yellow light is light up, and the commands work as wrong as before :frowning:

should i try anything else?
flo

Well, that’s a pretty good sign. If you really are hooking up power correctly in the separate supplies case, you might have just blown out the voltage regulator, and the rest of the unit might be working properly. Does the voltage regulator (little 5-pin part) look or smell bad? If you get a better power supply, you can still run everything off of that single supply. If you just need one or two servos, you might be able to get by with your current supply if you add some decent capacitors across the supply close to the board.

- Jan