Changing Default Pins on DualVNH5019MotorShield

I am having the hardest time trying to use different pins than those defaulted on the included library. I am integrating the motor shield with an Arduino Uno. I am using pins 2, 3, 4, and 5 to read in values from quadrature encoders that are attached to DC motors. I need pins 2 and 3 on the Arduino Uno as they are the only pins that handle interrupts and I am using those to read the encoder values really quickly.

Originally I couldn’t get one of my motors to spin because I hadn’t changed any of the default pin layouts. I read through the manual and saw that the pin layout could be changed by using an exacto knife and scratching the connection between the pair of spaced holes along side the bottom. I have done so and connected a wire from pin 11 on the arduino and soldered it to the connection for the pair labelled 2. I have done the same with a wire from pin 13 and soldered it to the connection for the pair labelled 4. This does allow for both of my motors to spin when I input any speed but I cannot get the encoder value to output on the serial monitor (i.e. not getting input from pins 2 and 4 attached to the encoder on the motor). The encoder value from the second motor (i.e. pins 3 and 5 attached to the encoder on the motor) prints out perfectly fine. I have tried changed the default pin layout on the .cpp file in the library to INA1 = 11, and INB1 = 13, but that still doesn’t solve any of my problems.

Could I get some advice on the proper way to go about this? I’ve tried all sorts of ideas that I could assume to work but I still cannot get this issue solved. Do I need to set up another connection or solder a different wire?

Hello.

It is difficult to help you troubleshoot the problem without seeing how you have everything connected in your setup. Can you post pictures showing all your connections as well as close-up pictures of both sides of the motor driver shield that show your remapping? Also, can you post your code, including the modified DualVNH5019MotorShield.cpp file?

- Amanda

I figured out what my problem was. I used a multimeter to check if I did cut the connection between the 0.1 spaced holes on the board for the specific pins I needed. I had not cut enough or deep enough to cut the connection. I also had the wire soldered into the top hole of the pair and not the bottom. The manual instructions were a little unclear but after reading it over and over again I came to that conclusion. Fixing both these issues allowed me the proper use of the pins.

Thank you for your help and quick response.