Beginner help

hey, i’m having trouble getting started with a book i bought. 123 robotics experiments for the evil genius seemed to get some good reviews, and it looks pretty good too…but i can’t find any of the components it asks for. here has been my problem. it asks for two 220 v 16-pin resistor dips. am i safe to assume that the “v” is a misprint, and should be ohms. if so, i still can’t find it. i found some things at mouser electronics online…but it lists like 4 types of them. how am i supposed to know which is right? and also…things like a ckn9009 momentary push button switch i find on mouser but lists it as a tactile switch. and i can only buy them 1000 at a time! i have been unable to find these parts at nearby brick and mortar electronics stores. is there something i’m missing, or any advice that could help me out? thanks in advance.//

Hello,

It sounds as if the resistor part you need is a part that has eight individual resistors in one package. DIP stands for “dual in-line package”, which is the package you might have seen with some integrated circuits. The 16-pin package will have two rows of 8 pins. Mouser part number 71-MDP1601-220 might be what you need. You could also just use eight regular resistors.

It is also possible, however, that the author is writing about a different part that has a different network of resistors inside. For example, the 16-pin package could have 15 resistors that all have one side tied together. You will need to look at any schematics in the book to determine how many resistors are in the part and how they are connected together.

The tactile switch is what you want. There are many manufacturers and styles of the little pushbutton switches, so you should be able to find one that fits your project. You might have been looking at the part number for an entire reel of such parts, which would explain the 1000-piece minimum. Jameco and Digi-Key also carry the switches. You should get all of the catalogs, and they will give you drawings or pictures of the parts so you can decide which one to use.

- Jan

thanks for the help. i found most of what i’m looking for. but one problem i still have is that i’m unable to find two more things. twenty-four-pin, 0.600-inch sockets and a single-row 32-pin pcb mount socket. i also need two 1/4-inch 4-40 flathead screws. but i think i can find the screws easily enough. those other two though…i don’t even get anything when i google them!//

Hello,

Jameco part number 39351CD should work for the 24-pin socket you need.

Jameco part number 78641CD might work for the 32-pin socket you need. Your description isn’t very specific, and there are all kinds of sockets out there. The part I’m referring to is only 30 pins, but you can snap them apart and stick them side-by-side to get the number of pins you want.

- Jan

Hi,
I too am trying to find the CKN9009 switch to build the board from the 123 Robotics Experiments for the Evil Genius.

that switch appears to be out of production & I’m having a hard time finding an adequate replacement. Its the schematic on the board that is throwing me. I hope my primitive drawing below makes sense. The 4 asterisks are the mounting holes & then switch indicators. All the datasheets I see for alternatives appears to only have 1 switch connecting all 4 posts…???

Can anyone recommend a suitable alternative? This is the last part I need in order to get this board working…

Thanks!

|        |
 \        \
  |        |

I think you just need any old SPST momentary pushbutton. Jameco part number 119010 (http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&pa=119010&productId=119010) looks like the part you mention, but there are thousands of switches out there that work the same way. You can probably get something that will work at Radio Shack.

- Jan