Battery support for the 12 V DC gear motor, need suggestions

Hi,

I am currently building a project where I require to power two 12 V dc gear motors(pololu 100:1 gear ration with 64 CPR encoder motor) with stall current at 5A. I planning to use a 12 V 9Ah lead acid battery for my project. The motors will be connected to a motor driver (L298N) that is rated for 4-40 V, 2 A. Now I am not sure if I should connect the motors with L298N to the battery without damaging them. I am very new to electronics and really stuck. I have been testing my project so far using a 12 v adapter running on AC . Please help or suggest something.

Thanks
Alex

Hello.

It sounds like you might be using one of our 37D Metal Gearmotors. If that is the case, a 12V 9Ah lead acid battery should be fine for those motors. A L298N is quite a bit underpowered though. We generally recommend choosing a motor driver that can continuously handle the stall current of your motor. You can see some appropriate drivers and controllers in the “Related Products” list on the right-hand side of the motor’s product page. For example, you might consider the Dual VNH5019 Motor Driver. Alternatively, if you want to user higher level communication like TTL serial or RC pulses, you might consider the Simple Motor Controller 18v7, which has a lot of additional features and can be configured from the Simple Motor Control Center software via USB. However, please note that the Simple Motor Controller can only independently control a single motor, so you would need one for each of your motors.

By the way, I noticed you posted this in two different sections on the forum. Since they were identical, I deleted the other thread (this one was in a more appropriate section).

Brandon

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that L298N is little underpowered, but it does the work for indoor robot applications. I have a couple lying around my house so just happy using them for now. But thanks for giving some good alternatives to me.
Alex