Backgammon

Yet Another on eof my crazzzyyy learning project ideas.

I play a lot of backgammon - maybe 100 games a week. But I still get frsutrated by my not so steep improvement curve, and want to bring this into my interest of electronics.

I have a basic idea. I dont know if anyone knows the game but basically you roll dice, and move counters around a board.

I want to make a board that records the moves played on it.

Backgammon notation is like this:

0 14: 13/9 8/7

Both players roll dice, and the player with the higher dice starts. So in the case above, a player rolled 4, and therefre started the game with a 1 and a 4. He moved a checker on place 13 to place 9, and a checker on place 8 to place 7.

What would be a good method for electronic checkers and board that knew when a certain checker had been put down on a certain place. If the dice were 5 and 2 and checker 10 had been on place 22, and was now on place 15 and it was the third go since the reset button had been pressed, then the computer would record a line saying:

3 25: 22/15

It doesnt need to know rules just when checkers have been moved. The players would make sure no cheating took place!

What would be the best way to sense this kinda stuff?

Thanks

In a situation like this building a custom sensing board might be a little excessive. If you wanted you could hack into a commercial electronic backgammon board like this one. I have no idea how it works, although I’m guessing the board has pressure-sensitive switches you push down with the game pieces as you move, but you’d have to figure that part out yourself. I did something similar with an electronic chess board, but it took me many hours with an oscilloscope to figure out how it worked. Maybe just playing against the built-in computer would be the way to go for now!

-Adam

Yeah, I think that one works by the user typing the moves in. I will keep looking, but its a far fetched idea…