Analog or digital inputs?

“Analog or digital inputs (channels 0 – 11 can be analog inputs; channels 12+ can be digital inputs)”

The above is a quote from product discription. The problem is the word “can”. I understand that there are digital servos and they need digital input. Standard servos use a pulse(analog) to move to a given distance and speed.

I want to use a micro controller to send information to the servo controller. I need full control of speed and distance moved. How is this to be done? What data do I send to the servo controller, is it analog or a digital value? If I have to do the PWM with the micro controller why have a servo controller?

Thanks for you help.

Hello,

Have you looked through the user’s guide for the Maestro? It can be accessed from the Resources tab of the relevant product pages, and it provides detailed information on what the Maestro can do and how to work with it.

When we discuss using channels on a Maestro as inputs, we mean that they are inputs from the perspective of the Maestro (that is, signals are coming from an external source into the Maestro). This is one of the alternate functions of the Maestro’s channels; in their normal mode, when they are being used to control servos, they act as outputs (signals are generated by the Maestro and go out to an external destination - the servos).

If you are using a microcontroller to communicate with the Maestro, you would typically want to send commands to it on its TTL serial interface, which you can read about in section 5 of the user’s guide.

- Kevin

Kevin,
Thanks for the answer. Yes, I have read the manual. :slight_smile: Sorry, but if not clearly understood funny brown or white smoke seems to get released and I can’t ever seem to be able to capture all of it or to be able to put it back into the electronic piece it escaped from. :frowning:

As I work on a budget, I have to be very certain that I KNOW what I’m dealing with. This was the case and as no one answered before you from the forum I assume that others were not entirely sure of the answers. Please, be sure that as a hobbist that enjoy working with problems I did not write the post to waste your time.

"When we discuss using channels on a Maestro as inputs, we mean that they are inputs from the perspective of the Maestro (that is, signals are coming from an external source into the Maestro). This is one of the alternate functions of the Maestro’s channels; in their normal mode, when they are being used to control servos, they act as outputs (signals are generated by the Maestro and go out to an external destination - the servos).

If you are using a microcontroller to communicate with the Maestro, you would typically want to send commands to it on its TTL serial interface"

Makes more sense now.

I look forward to using pololu parts now and in the future as they fill a valuable nitch,and please don’t be offended IF I am a little dense sometimes. :slight_smile: