Advice on Servo / Motor selection for tracked robot

I want to create a small tracked robot platform. I have previously used DC motors with a H-bridge from an L298 circuit to drive simple robots.

But lately I have experimented with a Micro Maestro 6-Channel USB Servo Controller](https://www.pololu.com/product/1350) to control std servos. I am curious as to whether it is feasible to drive a tracked robot using continuous rotation Servos such as the ( SpringRC SM-S4303R Continuous Rotation Servo) connected to a Maestro servo controller?

I like the simplicity of of the Maestro + Continuous rotation servo approach - as it allows me to record Servo movements as a subroutine - that could conceivably include left, right turns, & forward movements on the tracked robot etc. All of which can be driven from one Micro controller. An added advantage is that up to 6 servo motors could all be driven off only 4 GPIO pins on my Raspberry Pi.

However, I see on the SpringRC page, that “back-driving this servo can damage it”- I assume this means driving in reverse.

Can anyone advise whether it is feasible to drive a tracked robot with continuous rotation servos?

Or do I need to stick to the DC motor + H Bridge approach?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers Steve

Hello, Steve.

Yes, it is feasible to use the Maestro and continuous rotation servos to drive a tracked robot. The assumption you have about back-driving is incorrect. The servos can be driven in reverse just like a DC-brushed motor. Back-driving in this context means to forcefully turn the output shaft manually.

-Rocky

Thanks Rocky- can you recommend a suitable setup re which

• Continuous Servos

• Wheels

• Tracks to use?

Cheers Steve

We do not have any tracks that work with servos. You can find all of the servo wheels we carry here:

Which continuous servo is reasonable for your application depends on how much torque you need. If you need help on getting a general idea on how to calculate your torque, check out our Force and Torque blog.

-Rocky