About TTL and Servo Control

Hello all!

I need some insight on TTL signals and servos. Currently I have a simple setup (not though the micro maestro) that moves the servo from one position to another. The TTL signal acts like an on and off switch (to the best of my knowledge, I’m not sure I quite understand TTL very well). I was wondering if the Micro Maestro can do something similar or exactly the same to it.

Thanks,

-Frank

Additional Notes

-I am using the Micro Maestro 6
-I am using a Futaba S3115 Micro Precision Servo

Hello, Frank,

Saying that a signal is TTL really does not say anything other than that it is a digital signal, usually at a 5 V or 3.3 V voltage level, so you would need to describe the behavior of the signal in more detail for us to tell whether a Maestro could use it. Is it a simple high/low signal where a logic high corresponds to one servo position and a low corresponds to the other, or is it something more complicated (like a TTL serial signal)? Can you explain what your current “simple setup” consists of?

- Kevin

Hey Kevin,

I believe it is a high/low signal, I’ve checked the voltage and it goes between 0V and 5V. The setup is a switch connected to a chip through a BNC port. I did not construct the chip, but it has a 5V plug. On the chip it appears that It runs the signal . The chip splits the ground, power, and “signal” and a BNC ground that lead to a Prairie Dual Servo Controller. I’ve tried looking for the schematics for this chip online, but I couldn’t. It has two potentiometers that control the servo positions. Now that I think of it, I apologize because its not a very simple setup :confused: Does that help a bit? (I don’t have a camera available)

-Frank

It sounds like you might be talking about using a 0-5 V analog voltage to control a servo instead, but I am still not sure I understand your setup; are there only two possible target positions for the servo that correspond with high and low voltage inputs, or can you give it a voltage in between to get an intermediate position?

In either case, you can definitely configure channels on a Maestro to be inputs, and use the Maestro’s built-in scripting capability to set servo positions from the input readings according to your desired behavior. You can find out more about configuring and scripting the Maestro in its user’s guide, which you can find on the Resources tab of its product page.

- Kevin

I believe it can variate between positions depending upon voltage .The Futaba S3115 Precision Servo has three wires to it, a 5V power line, a ground, and a third line for some sort of signal or voltage input (what voltage when through this line controlled the servo direction). Thanks for the suggestion, I’m currently thinking of using/modifying the “button” example and having the Maestro see High and low inputs of 0V and 5V to move the servo between two set positions.

-Frank

Hello All!

I am still having trouble programming a suitable script. I’ve connected a 0V-5V input wire to my RX line, but I don’t know how to get a reading from it. I’ve read the example scripts, but I’m having difficulty or just not seeing a relation from the examples to what I need. Suggestions and help are always appreciated.

Thanks,

-Frank

Look for the example labeled “Using an analog input to control servos” in the example scripts for the Maestro; it should be pretty close to what you are trying to do.

- Kevin

Hey,

There isn’t anything on how to get the Micro Maestro to detect a TTL pulse in the example scripts and the tutorials don’t state any command. Can the Micro Maestro deter a voltage difference between 0V and 2V? I’m looking at the analog inputs now.

Thanks,

-Frank

Hello All!

I’m currently having the Maestro detect a voltage difference and writing a code for that. Thanks for the help, especially you Kevin!

-Frank