a4983 newby setup

Now in other uses of the stepper driver people are adding 100 micro farad capacitor on the vmot/gnd. I am going to have 3 stepper drivers on the same battery supply would this be a good idea for my setup? One driver is on one location and about 12" away 2 other drivers will be in a box by the second and third motors.

thanks

It’s not necessarily required, but it could help and shouldn’t hurt. The value doesn’t matter much, though putting in much less than 100 uF won’t do much, and more than a few thousand uF will start getting really bulky.

- Jan

According to the datasheet it says:

There are already built-in pull-down resistors to MS2 and MS3. I externally connected another one to MS1, because MS1 doesn’t have one. To limit current to these pins, in the datasheet they didn’t mention the value for pull-up resistor. They just said “high value”. In this case the pull-up and pull-down resistors on each MSx pin will form a voltage divider. My question is what would be the best value for the pull-up resistors?

The pull-down resistors are around 100k, so you should use 10k or less for the pull-up to override that. On MS1, if your goal is to just have the line high, you should not put a pull-down on it, and you can use just a 100k to Vdd.

- Jan

The point is: there is already a pull-down resistor (100K) on each line of MS2 ans MS3 (built inside the chip). Correct me if I’m wrong.

Yes, the chip has pull-downs on MS2 and MS3, but that was not my point. You sounded like you put a 100k pull-down on MS1 and were ready to put a pull-up on it, too, so I was just reminding you not to put both on externally.

- Jan