3s battery zumo robot

Hi not sure where to put this so i put it here. Can you tell me whether you can run the zumo 1.2 off a 3s battery without damaging to regulator and other components?!
thanks

Hello,

A 3S LiPo is probably too high and will likely damage components like the reflectance array. If you can use a 2S LiPo, that should be fine. You can see more in this similar forum thread.

-Derrill

can you tell me where the schematic diagram is for the reflectance array. most of the used voltages comes from the 5v and 3.3v from the arduino. the exception for this is the battery monitor and the regulator. im going to put a heavier regulator on the 7.5v but not sure what its meant to power as it doesn’t show it in the schematic diagram. can you give me a complete schematic diagram?

You can find the schematic for the Zumo Reflectance Sensor Array on its product page. The schematics for the Zumo Shield can be found in its user’s guide as well.

If you describe what you are planning to do, we could let you know whether it sounds reasonable.

-Derrill

i would like too run the zumo bot off a 3 cell lipo.

As I mentioned before, a 3S LiPo is too high and will likely damage components. Along with the sensor array, the motor driver on the Zumo shield has a maximum voltage of 11V, and it is directly connected to the battery power, so you would likely damage the motor driver by connecting a 3S LiPo.

-Derrill

i was planning on using a rundown lipo but i will probable use a regulator on the motor driver. just wondering along with the motor driver, the battery sensor what else needs 7v on the rail?

Both the reflectance array and Arduino are normally powered through the 7.45V boost regulator, but if you apply a voltage higher than that it gets passed through it.

Please note, using a run-down 3S LiPo is probably not practical since it’s nominal voltage is 11.1V, so it would be mostly discharged below 11V.

Also note, you will need a regulator that can handle at least a few amps (depending on the output voltage) since it is supplying power to the motors.

-Derrill

the arduino can run off 12v. im going to use these buck converters https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LM2596-2596S-Mini-3A-Step-Down-Voltage-Regulator-Converter-Buck-Module/192690522570?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=492832496015&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

can you tell me does the arduino get the power directly from the battery or does it get it from +5v rail?

As I said in my last post:

-Derrill

is that to the Vin on the arduino?

Yes.

-Derrill