328PB 3.3V 8, 12 MHz can not Upload Code

I have recently purchased Pololu 328PB 8 adn 12 MHz boards.

My configuration:

• Windows 10
  • Arduino IDE 1.8.12
  • FTDI programmer (Serial Programming)
  • USBTiny ISP (SPI Programming)

I tried both serial and SPI programming both boards 8 and 12 MHz.
I always get error and can not upload blink code.

Serial Programming Error:

Additional configuration file is “C:\Users\ibrahim\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\pololu-a-star\hardware\avr\4.0.2/extra_avrdude.conf”
avrdude: warning at C:\Users\ibrahim\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\pololu-a-star\hardware\avr\4.0.2/extra_avrdude.conf:1: part m328pb overwrites previous definition C:\Users\ibrahim\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf:8802.

Using Port                    : COM4
     Using Programmer              : arduino
     Overriding Baud Rate          : 57600

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done. Thank you.
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

SPI Programming Error:

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9516 (probably m328pb)
avrdude: Expected signature for ATmega328P is 1E 95 0F
Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

Hello.

Since it sounds like there might be two issues, let’s first focus on getting your FTDI programmer to work with the A-Star 328PB Micro boards you have. How are you powering the A-Star boards? What voltage does the FTDI programmer use on its power and I/O lines? Can you provide a link to the product page or datasheet of the FTDI programmer you are using? Also, can you post pictures of your setup clearly showing the connections between the FTDI programmer, the A-Star board, and your computer?

- Amanda

I use this board. https://andino.shop/en/p/ftdi-232-adapter
All 6 pins directly connected to the Pololu boards side pins.
Pololu board powered by FTDI module directly.
Initially the power setting on FTDI was 3.3V It did not work. Than I set to 5V it did not work either.

Can you verify that the serial bootloader is working on each of your A-Star 328PB boards by powering them at 3.3 V through your FTDI adapter and pressing their reset button? When you press the reset button, the A-Star 328PB serial bootloader will blink the user LED very quickly three times, wait for one second, and then exit.

Also, can you set the Arduino IDE to show verbose output during upload (in the Preferences window) and then post the exact AVRDUDE command that’s being executed (or post the entire output)?

- Amanda

Unfortunately. LED is not blinking. Does it mean bootloader is corrupted? Then FTDI programming would not work. I tried with both of my boards. None blinked.
Arduino IDE Upload Response:

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619
Copyright © 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright © 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\ibrahim\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf"
     Additional configuration file is "C:\Users\ibrahim\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\pololu-a-star\hardware\avr\4.0.2/extra_avrdude.conf"

avrdude: warning at C:\Users\ibrahim\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\pololu-a-star\hardware\avr\4.0.2/extra_avrdude.conf:1: part m328pb overwrites previous definition C:\Users\ibrahim\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf:8802.

Using Port                    : COM4
     Using Programmer              : arduino
     Overriding Baud Rate          : 57600

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xfe
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xfe

If you’re not seeing the yellow user LED blink quickly three times after pressing the reset button, there could be a problem with your power supply or that the bootloader has been erased. At this point, I think we should shift our focus on getting your USBtinyISP programmer to work. There was another person on our forum that had a similar issue with trying to program the A-Star 328PB board using their USBtinyISP programmer; please follow our instructions here to configure your Arduino IDE to program the A-Star 328PB with your programmer.

- Amanda

I will try to update the bootloader. I have actually bought 4 boards. 2 8MHz and 2 12 MHz. I still have unused boards. Shall I try them first.
If I had known programming these boards so difficult, I wouldn’t have bought them. The seller discounted the boards 50%. Now I see the reason.

Using Port : usb
Using Programmer : stk500v2
Setting bit clk period : 5.0
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device “usb” (0x03eb:0x2104)

avrdude done. Thank you.

Error while burning bootloader.

I changed the programmer.txt with the following lines and USBtimyISB is working now.
usbtinyispfor328PB.name=USBtinyISP for 328PB
usbtinyispfor328PB.protocol=usbtiny
usbtinyispfor328PB.program.tool=avrdudecustom
usbtinyispfor328PB.program.extra_params=-Pusb

Unfortunately programming using FTDI is still not working.
I uploaded the board with bootloader (using USBTinyISB) Even Blink code is working.

I’m glad to hear you were able to configure your Arduino IDE so that your USBtinyISP programmer can program the A-Star.

Can you measure the voltage difference between the FTDI device’s GND and VCC pins using a multimeter to make sure it’s outputting 3.3 V? Can you also try doing a loopback test? You can do a loopback test by connecting the FTDI adapter’s RX pin to its own TX pin, disconnecting the rest of your system and sending something with a terminal program to see if it gets echoed back.

Can you try programming one of your A-Star boards again using your FTDI adapter and post the entire verbose output? Please let us know which A-Star version you used to program.

- Amanda

I am using the same FTDI module with my Arduino Pro Mini Clone 3.3V and 5V.
The module by adjusting the jumper supplies 3.3V and 5V. I measured it.
My ProMini programming is recent. (Just 5 minutes ago).
The supplied voltage is enough to power the pro mini board and an OLED display.
The power of FTDI module is OK. It can perfectly program my Pro Mini module. Therefore RX-TX is working.
I checked Pololu boards. It looks they are not getting power from VCInn pin. The soldering looks ok.

Can you try programming again but power the A-Star separately?

- Amanda

I tried briefly and it didn’t work. I will try it again.