LS20031 GPS Serial Communication Problems

I received a LS20031 GPS a few weeks ago and have been trying to get it up and running.
I am able to use putty and other serial applications to receive data from the GPS at the default BAUD rate, but I am unable to send a message to the device or at least it seems to not respond to the message. I had the same experience using MINI GPS application 1.4 in the resources on the products page, as well as GPSFox both do not recognize any incoming messages nor does the device seem to respond to any input messages.

To communicate with the device I have setup a TTL to USB converter in order to communcate with the device at the 3.3 V level. The power supply is 3.3 V. I have read the information from the resource file and followed an online tutorial from sparkfun, but still now luck in getting a decent message from the device or sending any messages to it.

Hello,

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your LS20031. What kind of serial adapter are you using? Can you describe how you have it connected? If you have a diagram or picture of your connections, that would be helpful.

- Kevin

The Picture Capture.PNG has the current setup with the USB to TTL break out board from sparkfun (FT232R Breakout).

Using RealTerm: Serial/TCP Terminal I was able to find the solution…the default Baud of the GPS was not the 38400, but rather 57600. Everything works fine now.

Hello.

I’m glad you were able to figure out the problem. What made you initially think that the default baud rate was 38.4 kbps?

- Ben